Training on a MTB on the road

FirstV8

If you're riding road for a significant amount of time and can get a road bike for a reasonable outlay then I'd suggest that. Riding road on a road bike is a different beast and really make sense when putting the hammer down on climbs and sprinting for which ever stupid marker you agreed with your mates. Going into sweeping corners and that immediate transfer of power as well as the lightness can get quite addictive and once you done that simplify move. Once you've  focused on the 'you' and your fitness with a road bike it's hard to drag your double bouncy bike onto the streets and pretend it's even close by putting some very average slicks on. Heck the difference between a good set of road slick and an average set is massive. I'm not saying it'll eclipse the MTB but it's horses for courses. That tough, burly nature beating, dual sus machine you have will soon ride like a fat whale trying to pogo dance the samba in roller skates when faced with the smooth beauty of tar.  I love my trail and endruo bikes but they soon become a hack on the tar. Much like riding a cx bike on a black line, despite what the cool kids want to tell you, it's a ball ache.  

One thing to note is that road riding is *** dangerous in SA. Flat out. Not an MTB or carbon speed weapon is going to change that. If you decide to take that plunge then choose some good, safe routes, drive there if need be and be aware at all times that you're a small person on a bike with some bat sh*t crazy drivers out there from drunk, to txting, to angry to just not paying attention to tired to high and the stats of 'riders down' in our community speak for themselves. 

Thanks for reply YOYO . I sold my road bikes to buy a MTB . I rode road for nearly 30 years so know the sensation and benefits of a good road bike . I specifically dont want to get hooked on road again as im 65 now and really want to experience the MTB scene more . Im limiting my training to my own residential area (very boring but safe ) .Im trying to do at least 2 off road training sessions weekly before i venture out to a organised ride once i have hit my goal weight . 

ride on the road.  fitness is fitness, no matter where you decide to ride or which bike you're on.

also don't agree with most guys on the skills development that you somehow magically get when riding off-road.  you need to practice skills in a very dedicated and specific way if you want to become proficient with drops, jumps and technical stuff, it doesn't happen all by itself by riding on a jeep track 4 hours a week...

My analogy to learning to ride an mtb is almost like learning to play guitar.  You can play 2 hours every night learning one bob dylan song after the other, but that still won't make you a good lead guitarist.  For that you need to practice scales, learn theory etc.

there is an element of conditioning that you will gain from riding off-road, but that only really is going to be uncomfortable if you train on road only and suddenly find yourself in a 5 hour marathon type race.

Archived