Training on a MTB on the road

FirstV8

I am training 20 km per day 4 times a week and a 30 km ride Saturday and Sunday morning . I have not found a off road course close enough to me go training on so all my riding is done on the road . How will this affect my off road riding when i eventually get to do some . Is there a big difference in road vs off road fitness and is it necessary to do more off road than on road if i only intend riding my MTB . 

Hi, riding on the road is better than no riding at all.  Off-road riding can be much more technical and is harder on the body (hands, arms, shoulders).  Ride your bike wherever you can.  Just ride!

I have to agree with beesrib. 

But I do lots of training(aka commuting) on the road with my MTB.
Slap on some slicks (yeah I am that guy, coz expensive MTB tired being used on road is just sad) and you got a decent bike to get great base miles/training under your belt. 

back, core, arms, neck and even the effect of the vibrations through the legs. Also your skill level at negotiating sandy corners and all the fun stuff WILL suffer.

Go ride a mtb trail every weekend if you can. A loop at Benoni Country Club takes about an hour - so do 2 or 3 laps if you want more distance.

As what's been said above. I also do a lot of my riding on the road. Besides the battering of the body Offroad I find the pedaling cadence and efficiency noticeably different. Where on the road you can get into a nice smooth rhythm you cannot on most MTB rides, wheel traction up steep climbs and the overall punchy requirement on a MTB track.

Importantly I use time in saddle as my weekly marker and not distance. As this changes drastically between road rides and mtb rides. Consider a MTB ride at 15-20km/h and a road ride on a MTB between 20-25km/h. So you need to put longer hours in on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input and must agree will all comments . I already do a 30 min gym session at home on mt Trojan Meridian and once a week im now going to a off road circuit ( last Sunday i did Modder ) this week ill try Benoni and decide further as i get fitter . Ill need to buy a second set of wheels and full cluster  to have slicks available for daily training . When i was a roady i had exact set up bikes . 

You are getting good base km's in, which there is no substitute for time in the saddle.

Your biggest concern is losing some of your technical ability on the trails if you don't ride them often enough, but then again people lose their technical ability when they are unfit and tired too 

I am in exactly the same boat as Firstv8.

I came from a road and track background. I have a 90's MTB and did a little off road riding for the fun of it.

Bought a new MTB last year and I do 90% of my training on the road or on the gravel next to the road.

I am spending this year to get myself in shape a bit. (Want to lose weight and get the lungs and legs a bit better). Once I am on a level where I want to be in terms of fitness I will start doing trials or just Jeep Track type of riding.

I agree with the sentiment that you are more dangerous when unfit than low skilled off road.

The rides are hugely different.

However when it comes to basic fitness level there is not much difference.

I ride on and off road and both give me a serious workout.

Off-road skills you will only get off road.

I did a full off road training session today at the back of OR Tambo on the track managed by Cycle Lab if im correct . Its a 9.6 km undulating circuit with a lot of tight turns to hone your shills . The climbs a short and sharp to me for now anyway and their are a few good straight sections were you can get some good speed  up . I did two laps 19.2km at a average of 21.1kph . I did not know the terrain so took it easy on the bends but pushed elsewhere . I think for a mid week ride its a good option but i need to do 3 laps .  

If you're riding road for a significant amount of time and can get a road bike for a reasonable outlay then I'd suggest that. Riding road on a road bike is a different beast and really make sense when putting the hammer down on climbs and sprinting for which ever stupid marker you agreed with your mates. Going into sweeping corners and that immediate transfer of power as well as the lightness can get quite addictive and once you done that simplify move. Once you've  focused on the 'you' and your fitness with a road bike it's hard to drag your double bouncy bike onto the streets and pretend it's even close by putting some very average slicks on. Heck the difference between a good set of road slick and an average set is massive. I'm not saying it'll eclipse the MTB but it's horses for courses. That tough, burly nature beating, dual sus machine you have will soon ride like a fat whale trying to pogo dance the samba in roller skates when faced with the smooth beauty of tar.  I love my trail and endruo bikes but they soon become a hack on the tar. Much like riding a cx bike on a black line, despite what the cool kids want to tell you, it's a ball ache.  

One thing to note is that road riding is *** dangerous in SA. Flat out. Not an MTB or carbon speed weapon is going to change that. If you decide to take that plunge then choose some good, safe routes, drive there if need be and be aware at all times that you're a small person on a bike with some bat sh*t crazy drivers out there from drunk, to txting, to angry to just not paying attention to tired to high and the stats of 'riders down' in our community speak for themselves. 

V8 I am yet another MTB commuter, which gets to the trails a few weekends per month.

This Saturday I will be doing a MTB funride x3 my normal commute.  I KNOW I can do the distance, BUT I will be watching my heart rate and pacing myself ...

Personally I find it better to watch my heart rate, than my speed.  By managing my heart rate I find my times coming down steadily.

most important - time in the saddle  :)

ENJOY

I did a full off road training session today at the back of OR Tambo on the track managed by Cycle Lab if im correct . Its a 9.6 km undulating circuit with a lot of tight turns to hone your shills . The climbs a short and sharp to me for now anyway and their are a few good straight sections were you can get some good speed  up . I did two laps 19.2km at a average of 21.1kph . I did not know the terrain so took it easy on the bends but pushed elsewhere . I think for a mid week ride its a good option but i need to do 3 laps .  

Heya, can you post the coords or adres to the entrance of this track? I work in Jet Park and would love to fit in a ride after work, thanks

Go straight up past Mad Pizza Trichardt Rd , left onto Findel , left onto Diaz and right onto Roman . There is a small entrance to a park and the entrance is in the park . 

26°09'41.3"S 28°15'12.1"E Google the cords and it will show map . 

Archived