Scott Spark 960 2017 / 970 2018 / Camber / Trek Fuel

Wheelie87

Hi,

So I've posted before on more or less the same topic.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/166307-specialized-camber-29-vs-camber-comp-29/?do=findComment&comment=3066013

Have to make a call now and narrowed it down to these four bikes as the 2017 models are now available at R25k

Scott Spark 960 / Camber / Trek Fuel

http://www.vbike.co.za/scott-spark-960-29-2017/

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/men/bikes/mountain/menscamber29/129085

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/camber-29/106426

Previously I was convinced on taking the YT Jeffsy but having ridden my mate's I'm not that sure

It's not exactly what I had in might and bobs a lot going up.

In short, looking for a more trail dual suspension 29" XL bike capable of going up just as well as going down for around R25k max.

Haha  :clap:

Thoughts on the 970 ?

Only introduced now in the 2018 range....

https://www.scott-sports.com/za/en/product/scott-spark-970-bike

How much do you weigh?

I was initially going to go for a 2016 Scott spark 960 which had the same or similar rear shock (the fusion). After a bit of research I decided against it as I weighed in at 125Kg's (at the time) and was not confident that it would handle the higher pressure required to handle a heavier rider.

I would rather stick with Rockhox or Fox on the rear.....

How much do you weigh?

I was initially going to go for a 2016 Scott spark 960 which had the same or similar rear shock (the fusion). After a bit of research I decided against it as I weighed in at 125Kg's (at the time) and was not confident that it would handle the higher pressure required to handle a heavier rider.

I would rather stick with Rockhox or Fox on the rear.....

85KG

Should be ok then...

Sorry I just assumed (mother of all F#@k ups  :whistling: ) that you were on the heavier side due to wanting an XL frame  :P

I got the Camber in May. That bike is the bomb!

You will NOT regret it. As for wheels, 29mm inner rim width. That bike is solid on the trails, climbs like my hardtail (i.e. no bobbing), and descends like the trail beast that it is. The 120mm shock travel is just perfectly suited to a mixture of trail and xc riding, and allows one  to spend long hours in the saddle without getting tired. On Saturday, I had a solid four hours in the saddle, and felt awesome at the end. My camber is equally at home in Jonkershoek as it is at Koeberg and everything in between.

I'm also looking for a 29er xc bike with more trail oriented geometry and my mind is made up: as soon as I have the cash i'm getting the the 950 scott. what convinced me was the std dropper post and the relatively relaxed head angle at 67deg i think.

edit: i haven't even seen these other bikes

Edited by duanelr

I'm also looking for a 29er xc bike with more trail oriented geometry and my mind is made up: as soon as I have the cash i'm getting the the 950 scott. what convinced me was the std dropper post and the relatively relaxed head angle at 67deg i think.

In all fairness, then your mind can not be made up yet, surely? Dropper post should not be the deciding factor in my opinion. First go ride them all, then decide. You are about to throw some big money at a whim, not a solid decision. You may end up regretting your decision. 

I got the Camber in May. That bike is the bomb!

You will NOT regret it. As for wheels, 29mm inner rim width. That bike is solid on the trails, climbs like my hardtail (i.e. no bobbing), and descends like the trail beast that it is. The 120mm shock travel is just perfectly suited to a mixture of trail and xc riding, and allows one  to spend long hours in the saddle without getting tired. On Saturday, I had a solid four hours in the saddle, and felt awesome at the end. My camber is equally at home in Jonkershoek as it is at Koeberg and everything in between.

True this, I rode behind someone who was on a Camber a few weeks ago up Groenkloof and it looked quite competent at doing climbs...not to mention how much better off he was than my on my XC bike on the downhill sections...

True this, I rode behind someone who was on a Camber a few weeks ago up Groenkloof and it looked quite competent at doing climbs...not to mention how much better off he was than my on my XC bike on the downhill sections...

Since my Camber Comp. I have had a BIG injection of confidence, which resulted in an even bigger increase in skills. All in all, there is soooo much said about the camber on this forum, I had to test it for myself.

My finding is that EVERYONE WAS RIGHT!!! It truly is a go-to bike for me that sits firmly in the space that Specialized intended for it, being midway between their xc Epics and all-mountain Stumpjumpers. The Camber (to me at least) is the best of both worlds. 

If one is so hard up on a dropper post, then save and get an aftermarket one. I too wanted one, but truth be told, I do not miss it yet, as I learned to ride properly without one.

Decisions decisions

R25k is pretty much my limit

No way I can justify another R10k at this point in my life

I'm pretty set on the Trek now

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-5-29/p/2132600-2018/?colorCode=grey

Can get the 2017 for R25k and the 2018 for R28k

I've also just heard (and seen) amazing things about the Camber but always with one constraint YOU HAVE TO GET THE COMP and for me that now isn't an option so what the heck..I'll go for the Trek 

Dropper post will be awesome, but can't be deciding factor 

https://www.scott-sports.com/za/en/product/scott-spark-960-bike?article=265244009

Dropper is standard on the 2017 

So its come down to 2018 Scott Spark and the 2018 Trek EX 5

Scott RRP R31k (can get it for R27,5K)

Trek RRP R30k (can get it for R27k)

Leaning towards the Trek

Will make the call tomorrow

Have to say...Trek looking gooood

Wheeelie