Tyre Pressure

FirstV8

I read somewhere you must ask 2 buddies to feel your tyres. One will say too hard and one will say too soft, then go in between.

95kg, 29er ht with 2.2 crossmarmarks. 1.8bar front and 2bar at the back

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dropped the pressure today for my OR Tambo ride to 2bar front and 2.5 bar rear . It felt a bit bouncy when i started off and i thought it was going to bump through but no it was good . It took a few corners to get used to the better  grip it gives . . I could now go in faster and brake later sometimes locking the bad wheel and sliding into a bend and catching it on the way out with a hard acceleration . It definitely   is better for handling . I improved my time by 4 minutes for the 2 laps . Tomorrow im going to try the same pressures on the road and will report my findings . 

As mentioned in the previous post i would try the lower pressure on the road ,well what a difference . I kept the 2 bar front and 2.5 rear and i did a 20  km circuit in my area in 47.30 min giving me an average of 25.26kph which by the way is my best so far . . I was able to corner quicker and then speed up faster because of my exit speed . ( sounds like im describing a racing car experience ha ha ) . Ill try .5 up on my ride tomorrow and feel the difference . There really is a advantage /disadvantage to tyre pressure on a MTB . When i rode road it was max pressure for the least resistance on tar . The narrower and smaller the foot print the better . 

The best pressure for off road is just before you get a rim strike .On tar i used to pump my crossmarks to 2,5 bar for a road race on my mtb .Currently i am using a wide stans arch M3 rim with 2x 35 width tyre ,that i can run at 1,5 bar comfortably before a rim strike .I weigh 100kg 

Archived