Tyre Pressure

FirstV8

I pump my tyres 3.5 bar for training on the road or just a quick off road excursion on pavements pr grass parks . When i road at OR Tambo last week i could feel the front end washing away on some of the tight more sandy bends . What is the best approach to to riding off road in regards pressure ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would also like to hear from the experienced riders ....

What would be the ideal tire pressure for :

- commuting / tar riding

- off road

would also like to hear from the experienced riders ....

What would be the ideal tire pressure for :

- commuting / tar riding

- off road

IMO tire pressures depend on rider weight, tire size, type of rider etc

I'm 82kg on a hardtail and don't ride to wild in the rough stuff.

Run my 650x3.0 plus tires at 1.1bar (front and back) and the 29er 2.35 tires I run 1.5bar front and 1.7bar back.

This work for me. All tubeless.

I pump my tyres 3.5 bar for training on the road or just a quick off road excursion on pavements pr grass parks . When i road at OR Tambo last week i could feel the front end washing away on some of the tight more sandy bends . What is the best approach to to riding off road in regards pressure ?

Tubed or tubeless?

What tyres are you using? Make and model?

Either way you would usually run the rear lower than the front as all your weight is biased towards the rear!

I am now 116Kg's and run 2.3-2.5 bar rear (2.5 on tar) and between 1.5-1.8 in front.

2.2 rear width and 2.4 front.

You generally want them higher for road to reduce drag and rolling resistance and lower for off-road to help with traction....same as a car

BTW at 3.5 bar on tubeless you run the risk of the tyre blowing off the rim when the tyre and air inside warm up....ask me how I know this  :whistling:

I think some people need to check the calibration of their pump pressure gauges.

Most pumps are out and more than some are way out.

If you are on a 29er , I would be shocked / surprised if you could tell the difference between 1.6 and 2 bar on the tar .... except for the noise of the tyres on the tar .

1.6 to 1.8 max for off road , if you are in the 85ish kg range and max 2 bar for tar .

Anyway , that's what works for me ... all 79kg of me .

If you are on a 29er , I would be shocked / surprised if you could tell the difference between 1.6 and 2 bar on the tar .... except for the noise of the tyres on the tar .

1.6 to 1.8 max for off road , if you are in the 85ish kg range and max 2 bar for tar .

Anyway , that's what works for me ... all 79kg of me .

Im 110kg now and on a 29er . I love the sound of the hard tyres on tar at speed but am aware of the dangers of over inflating . Im going to reduce the pressure today as im riding off road so i want to feel the benefit . I timed last weeks laps and hope that i can top that today .Im not going to go to soft as i am worried about tyre roll . Ill go 2 bar front and 2.5 rear . 

All depends on the setup you run, what rims, tyres, bike also what you weigh and riding style.

On my 26" I have Black Panther's, very poor sidewall, and anything under 2.6bar they roll off the rim.

On my 29" hard tail (full rigid) I run Vittoria tyres at 1.8 bar front and back. If I go softer than that I tend to bottom the rim out fairly often, harder than that I rattle the plaque off my teeth. 

Try the Stan's  formula :

Example:
185 (lbs) / 7 = 26.43 -1 = 25.43 psi front
185 (lbs) / 7 = 26.43 +2 = 28.43 psi rear

If you only know you kg weight ( this must be with full gear) x 2,20462 to get to lbs.

This is for tubeless and you must use an accurate gauge not a floor pump.  if anyone knows of a better starting please post.

Archived