The Beginner Budget Brain

popcorn_skollie

Is the stage that much better than the pike? What if you put the ramp control in the pike? Will it be on par?

I can't comment on that as the pike dpa can't take the ramp control, the MRP is awesome for a couple of reasons the service intervals are double of the RS or Fox. The ramp control adds a whole new dimension to tunability overall for the money you can't beat it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giant Reign, 170mm MRP stage on the business end, inferno hoops on dirty flea hubs, lyne dropper, odi grips for white knuckle descents, NX groupset with absolute black oval on the crank and DMR v12's coz flats are cool.... Whole lot of radness right there!

me spots a Sunningdale garage... :thumbup:

I've probably posted these same lines 50 times on this forum, but dammit here I go again: I got a 26" hardtail for free from a friend in April this year because (and I quote) "I did not have any spare cash to spend on another hobby, and just wanted to get fit and lose some weight". Three months of weekend Durbanville trail rides later I dropped R12k that I suddenly "discovered" on a 29" full sus and have been ballin' ever since. Tubeless. 1x11. XT. That's where my money went when people ask. :D

I've probably posted these same lines 50 times on this forum, but dammit here I go again: I got a 26" hardtail for free from a friend in April this year because (and I quote) "I did not have any spare cash to spend on another hobby, and just wanted to get fit and lose some weight". Three months of weekend Durbanville trail rides later I dropped R12k that I suddenly "discovered" on a 29" full sus and have been ballin' ever since. Tubeless. 1x11. XT. That's where my money went when people ask. :D

I find it absolutely incredible how money can all of a sudden be "discovered" once you've persuaded yourself how much you need that upgrade. On top of this, how often have I thought "my bike is now exactly the way I want it and nothing can tempt me to spend much more on it", only to have to "discover" some money again next month for that part I somehow missed on the upgrade program. 

Great thread! 

I find it absolutely incredible how money can all of a sudden be "discovered" once you've persuaded yourself how much you need that upgrade. On top of this, how often have I thought "my bike is now exactly the way I want it and nothing can tempt me to spend much more on it", only to have to "discover" some money again next month for that part I somehow missed on the upgrade program. 

Great thread! 

I went riding with a friend the other day and said to him "You know what, I seriously don't think this bike can be improved any further, it's perfect now" and he was like "You'd be surprised the difference a good set of wheels can make...". Needless to say, I was browsing the classifieds after my ride like "Well. Sh*t.". :D

I went riding with a friend the other day and said to him "You know what, I seriously don't think this bike can be improved any further, it's perfect now" and he was like "You'd be surprised the difference a good set of wheels can make...". Needless to say, I was browsing the classifieds after my ride like "Well. Sh*t.". :D

No idea who would say something like that... :whistling:

Oh, man. That tidbit on the need to slap a Reba on your shitty entry level bike really hit home, Skollie. 

This is great, can't wait for Part 2.

Say something about MTB shoes as well plz!

for any beginner or someone who is not sure: Olympic FTW

edit: CANCEL CANCEL

that was the case for about 15 years. now they seem to have caught on and jacked up the prices -  I'm not sure

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/apparel/shoes-mtb?sort=field_product_commerce_price_amount_decimal_asc&order=asc

so i'm guessing monsieur preesay?

this is the entry level ratchet shoe, but unlike more expensive offerings it only has the ractchet in name!

https://www.mrpsport.com/en_za/ratchet-cycling-shoe-7400510003

It is so easy to get wrapped up in upgrade after upgrade . Whether it be bikes,apparel or anything.

Once the bug bites it can take you by surprise the amount you are willing to spend on anything bicycle related.

n+1 .... innit.

On the derailleur front - I agree. A high end shifter is worth more than a derailleur I think. Teamed a Saint 10s with an XT medium cage and the shifting is sublime.

Never a truer word spoken re 26"wheels either. Love my BMXy 160mm enduro bike.

I'll see your combo and raise you one saint shifter coupled with.... drumroll please....a SORA rear derailleur. It was the only thing i could find in 9speeds with a short cage. Got the shifter used and the Sora set me back R450 new at a bike shop. Been shifting flawlessly for months.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No idea who would say something like that... :whistling:

Well, at least I tried to keep it as anonymous as possible  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: It was this guy :thumbup:

Archived