K-Way Hiking Bag

mjoubert15

Hi all,

Cape Union Mart currently has a sale on bags. I’m looking to get a good hiking bag which will last at least a few years, and they have this K-Way Venture 60 for R1000 (was R1600).

Has anyone used this, or can verify whether K-Way hiking bags are good?

Thanks!

Have been using a Kway 65 since 2010. Cant complain in terms of value for money. Mine does no have the protruding side pockets as I prefer a more compact bag. 

post-13716-0-67467500-1509295322_thumb.jpg

K-way is an aspirational brand. It can be a bit hit and miss at times. Some of their stuff is really good (I was blown away by the quality of a super light down sleeping bag), but some of their stuff is really poor.

At the price it's probably a good deal, not gonna last a lifetime but should do well for a few years.

They have a good returns policy should anything go wrong.

If you looking for a bag to last 20 years spend R3k and get a black diamond or osprey.

i agree with trance dance. over the years i have bought a bit of kway hiking gear. their tents were quite good and their hiking bags too. their prices are good so you get what you pay for....

some kway gear is real good some less so.. if you need top line superbly engineered gear then you pay a bit more for that from other brands usually overseas brands.

having said that.. with kway their local returns and repairs policy is excellent for peace of mind.

i have used this kway venture bag in 50l guise for a multi day transkei hike and it was fine. not as comfy as the better bags but it held up well and did the job. those stick out side pockets can snag on tree branches but they are useful for easy access to snacks and a first aid kit.

Edited by scubes

i have many k-way stuff

one of the older bags had a stretchy type of string weaved in the front (think the bag was a 35l kilimanjaro daypack)  The string stretched out with many years of water and sun, so I had to replace it a while back.  It did serve me well for more than a decade though and lasted from highschool days when we were out rock-climbing almost every second weekend.

i also have a 85l k-way pack for some years and recently bought a smaller 25l daypack.  like them both and no issues yet, although they are not working as hard as the daypack mentioned above.

k-way rain jacket (i think they call it k-tex, but i guess it's goretex equivalent) jacket served me well, but the inner liner is starting to tear now after 8 years.

all in all i like their stuff and cannot compare with too much other brands, because being a local brand I supported them quite heavily.  They may not be "last a lifetime" type of gear, but everything I've bought from them was definitely good for 5 - 10 years of solid use.