RS Recon Gold Damper distorted

Reeb

I serviced my RS Recon Gold TK fork today and when I pulled out the damper it looked like this, what would cause it to distort like this? It looks like it has overheated.

post-46256-0-04202900-1509306532_thumb.jpg

post-46256-0-70731100-1509307419_thumb.jpg

Last full service was 1 year ago by LBS probably done +- 100 hours since then and It has not been ridden particularly hard.

Some advice please. Obviously I need to replace the damper (it is a Recon Gold TK 2012) should I upgrade to a motion control damper or is there a better damper that will fit.

Just get the motion control damper. I replaced one in my wife's Sid a few years ago and it was 900and something randelas.

The TK damper probably overheated due to working to hard (ie a fast Ricky section) and gave up the ghost.

Could it have been forced into the tube while in the locked out position?

10 points to Dave!

Either that or you hit something hard when it was locked out. 

Thanks for the responses

What would you suggest is my best way forward then, replace like with like, or is there an upgrade that you would recommend.

Sho, didn't know that there was enough force in normal riding to do this sort of damage!

That is why they sometimes don't allow the fork or shock to completely lockout...to prevent this type of damage.

That is why I think lockout is a swear word and a pointless exercise...but that is a whole new ball game and debate.

I would say replace like for like - because as with any other "upgrade" you will never see that money again, you would spend lets say R3k on an upgrade but it doesn't mean your fork is now worth R3k more on the 2nd hand market...

Thanks for the responses

What would you suggest is my best way forward then, replace like with like, or is there an upgrade that you would recommend.

Like for like. Don't think any other damper fits a Recon.

That is why they sometimes don't allow the fork or shock to completely lockout...to prevent this type of damage.

That is why I think lockout is a swear word and a pointless exercise...but that is a whole new ball game and debate.

It does sell bikes though. One of the main reasons the Spark sells so well is the lockout...

Like for like. Don't think any other damper fits a Recon.

It does sell bikes though. One of the main reasons the Spark sells so well is the lockout...

true...sadly