Pretoria-Cape Town 2017-11-06--12-21

Old Swede

Starting monday 11-06 Old Swede will (hopefully) bike from Pretoria to Cape Town. I have a Treck Dual Sport dirt road halfbreed and are loaded with 2 panniers with tent and the rest (32 kg bike and stuff). My planned route is to go east from Pretoria and turn south to avoid Joburg down to Bethlehem. Then turn southeast and explore the Drakenberg area walking,climbing and easy MTBtrails. Down to the coast south of Durban following the coast to Port Shepstone. Then I am not sure take a bus or bike up in the mountain suggestions welcome? Finding a bed through social media? How do that work? All comments are welcome.

Nice trip.

We did a ride a couple of years ago that included the following towns along your likely route from KZN to CTN.

Aliwal-North, Steynsburg, Middleburg, Graaf-Reinet, Willowmore, De Rust, Oudtshoorn, Barrydale, Worcester, Paarl, Cape Town. 

Not sure about the best options from Port Shepstone to Aliwal-North area; someone might possibly be alto to elucidate on a route, possibly along Kokstad, Matatielle, Barkly East and Lady Grey, but please don't take my word on that.

We rode the route I indicated before AirBnB was a thing in South Africa, but there are usually good and sometimes pretty affordable options on some local accommodation sites like lekkeslaap.co.za. Most of the towns I listed above have a local tourist office that can connect you with accommodation in their area.  

Enjoy and ride safe.

When, not if, you get to Calitzdorp in the Western Cape, I have a bed for you on the farm.

To avoid the Transkei, I am traveling from Durban to EL on 24/11 and could offer a lift?

But I guess you will be well on your way by then.

Archived