Trainerroad+TacX+Garmin HRM: Something not working

ALza

Hoping that someone has had this issue/combination and knows how to get it working.

I've just setup a TacX trainer and the trainerroad app on my android phone. The app picks up the trainer and controls things fine, no problems.

However, I don't seem to be able to get the app to see my Garmin 235 watch with heart rate. So while using the app, I can see cadence, power, etc, but the heart rate number is blank.

Any ideas on what to try? or am I going about this wrong and I shouldn't be able to use this combination?

Thanks.

Hoping that someone has had this issue/combination and knows how to get it working.

I've just setup a TacX trainer and the trainerroad app on my android phone. The app picks up the trainer and controls things fine, no problems.

However, I don't seem to be able to get the app to see my Garmin 235 watch with heart rate. So while using the app, I can see cadence, power, etc, but the heart rate number is blank.

Any ideas on what to try? or am I going about this wrong and I shouldn't be able to use this combination?

Thanks.

Your problem.  Two words.  "Android phone"

Thanks Leon - does seem like I'll need a separate device/heart rate strap to broadcast to the app.

According to this FAQ answer on Garmin's site, it is possible to get the 235 watch to broadcast HR via ANT+:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/U9k7zA5rvY7yC2v0H2rBL6

(Edit: another page, basically the same information - https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner230/EN-US/GUID-0C4E7DFB-E1C4-4EA8-885B-4DF88B3CD341.html)

Depending on which phone you have though, you'll need an ANT+ adaptor. My Sony Z5 Compact has ANT+ support built in, and I think many Samsung phones do too. On my el cheapo tablet I use a Garmin ANT+ stick, with a micro-USB OTG adaptor.

Edited by HdB

Thanks. So either ant+ or a separate heart rate strap.

Appreciate the help.

Now to just try getting zwift to see the trainer.