IDT Cassette

ScottCM

Hi everyone, 

I currently have an 11 speed Ultegra cassette on my bike, i have ordered new wheels so want to put this cassette on them and get a cheap cassette & chain to put on my current rear wheel to be used solely for the IDT.

Do i have to stay with and 11 speed cassette or seen as i only use 4 or 5 cogs on the cassette can i go to a 9 or 10 speed? i assume that going to an 8 speed would be to big a jump and would require gear setting as the spacing would be far greater than the 11 speed?

If possible to go to a 9 or 10 speed would one need a spacer or something?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, 

I currently have an 11 speed Ultegra cassette on my bike, i have ordered new wheels so want to put this cassette on them and get a cheap cassette & chain to put on my current rear wheel to be used solely for the IDT.

Do i have to stay with and 11 speed cassette or seen as i only use 4 or 5 cogs on the cassette can i go to a 9 or 10 speed? i assume that going to an 8 speed would be to big a jump and would require gear setting as the spacing would be far greater than the 11 speed?

If possible to go to a 9 or 10 speed would one need a spacer or something?

Thanks in advance.

I think you would get away with a 10 speed but anything lower and the chain would be too thin to fit over the cogs. Im not 100% sure on 10 speed though but I expect one of the experts will be in soon to comment.

I'd get an 11sp cassette. But I'm one that'd like it right. It also gives you a spare in case you need it on the road. Also, it won't mess with your chain - some may tell you it won't but with an 11sp cassette, you KNOW it won't.

my advice... wait for Friday and pick up the cheapest 11sp 105 you can get this friday on fastest-finger-first Friday

You can't go 7-9spd. Chain thickness will be a problem and indexing possibly too. If fact indexing may also be a problem switching between 10 & 11 spd.

I'm with lechatnoir.....buy a 105 11 spd cassette and save yourself the hassle unless you have a spare dedicated bike to use.

My advice is, get a new cassette for the new wheels and use the old one on the idt. If you can get a nice deal on ultegra this friday, go for it.

one thing to think of is to take the opportunity to switch up the gearing if needed. you may have a 'climbing friendly' one a the mo', so a new one could be a 'flats friendly' cassette. just a thought. that way you have the best of both worlds if your current one's not too worn.

one thing to think of is to take the opportunity to switch up the gearing if needed. you may have a 'climbing friendly' one a the mo', so a new one could be a 'flats friendly' cassette. just a thought. that way you have the best of both worlds if your current one's not too worn.

Exactly what i was thinking, my current one is 11 -32 and only has 300km's on so will be looking for a 11-25/8

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.