Steerer tube 2-3mm short

kk6gan

Hey guys / girls.

I've just built all the parts from my old bike across onto a new (second hand but new to me) frame and my forks steerer tube is just too short. From what the lbs advised and from what I've seen online in my searching, in order for it to be safe the steerer tube should be long enough to go just above the top clamp bolt of the stem. In order to achieve this I need to lose 2 to 3mm in stack height.

I'm currently running a Cane Creek 10 headset which notes the top stack height as 16mm and the bottom stack height as 12mm alongside a Kore 50mm stem (Not sure of model) which I have measured has a stack height of +- 35mm using a ruler so it might not be 100% exact. The fork I'm running has a straight 1 1/8" steerer and the frame requires a 34mm external cup headset.

So my question to you guys is, can you see in my current set up where I could save 2 to 3mm by replacing a part? I am on a budget so obviously the cheapest option would be the best.

Thank you in advance for any help / advice you can give me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 to 3 mm should be fine. 2mm over the stem is belt and braces, but anything up to 2mm below the top of the stem won't be an issue.

If it bugs you, FSA make a low stack headset that should give you the headroom you're after.

Thanks Droo.

It's currently sitting 5mm from the top of the stem, 2mm from the top of the top clamp bolt on the stem. I'd say it runs halfway through the top stem clamp bolt. Do you think this will be safe or cutting it a bit fine?

2 to 3 mm should be fine. 2mm over the stem is belt and braces, but anything up to 2mm below the top of the stem won't be an issue.

If it bugs you, FSA make a low stack headset that should give you the headroom you're after.

Sorry, didn't hit reply when I posted

I'm guessing you don't have any spacers?

because if you did then just lose one and replace with a stem with rise

I'm guessing you don't have any spacers?

because if you did then just lose one and replace with a stem with rise

Thanks but no spacers

Shave the headset at the top a little. Some pro's do/have done this to get more slammed.

As in shave the heads top cap? Where would I go to get something like that done?

As in shave the heads top cap? Where would I go to get something like that done?

Yip. LBS?

Or a piece of sandpaper mounted on something flat, and then sanding it yourself?

Yip. LBS?

Or a piece of sandpaper mounted on something flat, and then sanding it yourself?

Thanks, will keep this in the bank as an option