[Event] Sabie Classic

Brett MTBer

Think I should down grade from the 80km to the 42km. What is the ave finishing time for the 80km not the winning time.

Not sure about your fitness, but Sabie can be a beast. Average time for a fit rider in good conditions is about 5hrs. Winning time around 3h40. Climbs are steep and descents are tricky, especially if its wet. 

Think I am down grading then. I dont think fitness will be problem but my climbing will be. My longest (2nd ride) was 76km with 683m climbing ans took me 3:11 and that was last weekend.

What a way to get introduced to MTB. I am so glad that I changed to the 42km route. Trees are excellent huggers. Went over the bars twice. Buttered and brused but nice experience. Think the best part for my was the climbing. Those downhill singletracks scared the sh@t out of me. Lol

Edited by Zatek

Does anyone know where to find the official results online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowveldchaingang.co.za

What a way to get introduced to MTB. I am so glad that I changed to the 42km route. Trees are excellent huggers. Went over the bars twice. Buttered and brused but nice experience. Think the best part for my was the climbing. Those downhill singletracks scared the sh@t out of me. Lol

:D

Classic Sabie. Slick as a bar of soap...

Pretty happy I finished 13th in the subvet 42km but think I will try and easier one next time.lol

Must say that the mtb folk has a nice atmosfeer. Liked the Sabie Brewery Kraft beer afterwards.

• 1 year later...

Anyone done this race in the rain ? Heard it is extremely muddy and looks like it is going to rain this year

Anyone done this race in the rain ? Heard it is extremely muddy and looks like it is going to rain this year

Yes done it in the rain and it gets muddy in parts, can be slippery but still some of the best MTB'ing fun you will ever have!  :D

For me, Sabie has always been special and probably the best mountain biking I've been able to experience, it can be very muddy and slippery in the rain but I will always go back for more if I could.  I suppose wet, slippery conditions isn't for everyone but I loved every moment of it. 

It seems entrant numbers are dwindling and I'm surprised there isn't more discussion regarding this year's event.  I noticed there isn't even an advert in the events section.  From what I've heard, the town is taking strain, it's quite saddening as the Sabie trips remain quite memorable to me.

Go and enjoy those mountains, beautiful part of country.

For me, Sabie has always been special and probably the best mountain biking I've been able to experience, it can be very muddy and slippery in the rain but I will always go back for more if I could.  I suppose wet, slippery conditions isn't for everyone but I loved every moment of it. 

It seems entrant numbers are dwindling and I'm surprised there isn't more discussion regarding this year's event.  I noticed there isn't even an advert in the events section.  From what I've heard, the town is taking strain, it's quite saddening as the Sabie trips remain quite memorable to me.

Go and enjoy those mountains, beautiful part of country.

Sabie Classic used to be one of the premier MTB events in the country, sad to see the numbers declining every year, still my favourite MTB part of the country.

I see they have moved the start from York timbers sports grounds ( Stunning Venue) to Castle Rock camping ground.

Looks like we will have mud !!