drive chain upgrade

ecg15

I did nearly the exact build on a 26er, don't know why, but i had a lot of high end 26er components laying around worth nothing - Mine was a 3 X 10 SRAM X9.

I went for the KALBO components - great product and the guys are very helpful when doing the setup.

On the front:-

34 NW Elliptical mounted where the middle ring normally mounts, used spacers to move the chainring closer to the frame. This to keep the chainring more inclined towards the 42 rear, as this is where the most alignment is required due to the changing stress when changing from the 36 to 42.

On the rear:-

Installed the 42 expander sprocket, removed the 17 and changed the 15 for a 16, this evens out the gear ramps - explained on the KALBO website.

The normal X9 RD did not work no matter how much I played and adjusted the B screw, even a longer B screw didn't work, so I bought a X9 type 2 RD (Clutch) and used a longer B screw (just get a longer screw from Builders WH) played and adjusted the B screw until changing was fluid across the whole range of gears. You will find the B screw has to be screwed in fairly deep.

So get the kit from KALBO - Chainring (make sure it suites your crank PCD etc) - spacers - 16T sprocket - 42 expander. Their site is very helpful and informative when ordering.

Install it and replace the RD B screw with a longer one.

Play with the RD adjustment & chainline until the changing is smooth.

But be warned you may need to replace the RD for a clutch type, in fact i prefer the clutch type as it further ensures against dropped chains.

initially i couldn't understand why the std RD wouldn't work and the type 2 did work as on face value they both the same other than the clutch on the type 2

Measuring the pivot points (parallelogram) between the 2 they are in fact different, they type 2 has a slightly longer parallelogram, and the obv reason why it worked.

Not sure about Shitmano RD - I don't speak Shitmano.

I haven't ridden the bike all that often, but the few rides I've done everything runs schweet, no dropped chains and changing up to the 42 is smooth.

good luck - Probably the best upgrade you can give your old school 26er

You guys have been super helpful. Thanks a Ton. 

im already looking at parts on BH. found some.

also looking at sunrace rear cassette. not bad think i can get all this done under 2.5K