Cree light kit for DIY

WillemT

Nevermind I can answer my own question as it seems like I am talking to myself tonight. 500 Lumens will equate to 39.77 candlepower. Not very bright. I ride with 2500 candle power and that is still not good enough.

it's two different things, it's not like metre and foot that you can convert. maybe this would explain it better...

"Candlepower vs Lumens
Peak beam candlepower is the measure of the brightest spot in the beam and is a function of both the output of the lamp and the efficiency of the reflector. As a result, peak beam candlepower is a subjective measurement, and different flashlight manufacturers measure it differently. Therefore, comparing peak beam candlepower ratings of flashlights from various manufacturers will not give an accurate comparison of brightness.

On the other hand, lumens can be used when comparing brightness because it is a measurement of the entire light output regardless of beam focus.

Since peak beam candlepower is a measure of the reflected light, there is no way to convert peak beam candlepower into lumens.

The BrightGuy website shows light output in peak beam candlepower (referred to as candlepower or CP) and/or lumens. This information comes directly from the manufacturers.

"

night tider2008-05-30 12:46:35

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind I can answer my own question as it seems like I am talking to myself tonight. 500 Lumens will equate to 39.77 candlepower. Not very bright. I ride with 2500 candle power and that is still not good enough.

You might want to do that the other way round:

500 lumens = 6285 candlepower

Night Tider, Peak Beam Candlepower is something entirely different as you pointed out.
ZorgusPrime2008-05-30 12:48:49

Huh, I am sure that says divide and not multiply

Summing it all up:

Candlepower is a rating of light output at the source, using English measurements.
Foot-candles are a measurement of light at an illuminated object.
Lumens are a metric equivalent to foot-candles in that they are measured at an object you want to illuminate.
Divide the number of lumens you have produced, or are capable of producing, by 12.57 and you get the candlepower equivalent of that light source.

Oh bugger and now I have just found this

One candlepower equivalent equals 12.57 lumens

LOL!!! don't worry dude, it happens to the best of us!

Night tider, that looks awesome! I'll more than likely be up for one when designs get finalized and u have a price. Looks uber cool.

I take it you're still waiting for a reply from the suppliers of the Cree LED's...

Good work! And yeah, wish I was still a student! 

MuXmAn,

Those two websites require some serious concentration to figure out that they are talking PEAK BEAM Candlepower in the onc case, and like to put in some typo's in the second!

We should have kept quiet, and watched you build a homemade light to at least match the 2500 candlepower one you have now, at +/- 31'000 lumens ;-)

ZorgusPrime2008-05-30 13:21:06

LMAO at 31000 Lumens at least I will be able to see. Well considering I got my calculations all screwed up apologies are extended to all and I would be interested in getting me one of these babies.

On second thought with my non existent technical skills on a MTB I think 2 would do the trick 

Does anybody know if you can buy separate handlebar mountings, or oder them from somewhere? I'm looking at mounting options so if anyone has an idea feel free to speak!!

Topeak does one, it is either for their Moonshine or Moonlight (something like that). It isn't in the catalog.  My LBS put me in direct contact with the rep to get one. 

I think the first one  I got was about R 50.00, however the last one was a lot less, +- R 30 to R 40. I keep forgetting to take pic's of my light.

However, take a look at the mount on this light, this is the product:

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MoonShine-HID-Bicycle-Light/dp/B000FICAFA

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Lights/product_124910.shtml

The mount is available from Topeak as a separate item.

I think the first one  I got was about R 50.00' date=' however the last one was a lot less, +- R 30 to R 40. I keep forgetting to take pic's of my light.

[/quote'] '

Looks perfect!! how did you get this mount?, directly from the rep or via your LBS? Would love te get one to try out!

I think the first one  I got was about R 50.00' date=' however the last one was a lot less, +- R 30 to R 40. I keep forgetting to take pic's of my light.

[/quote'] '

Looks perfect!! how did you get this mount?, directly from the rep or via your LBS? Would love te get one to try out!

I got mine from Linden Cycles who ordered it for me.

It was serve well worth mentioning as I walked into the shop at 10 or 11on a Monday  morning and they had the part for me before the end of that day as I needed to finish the light before a race on the Wednesday.

Also have a look at the following site

They sell great flashlights' date='but never seen the brackets in real life.
[/quote']

The Fenix lights look very good and get good reviews on the net, especially the "CE" versions using Cree LEDs.

The Fenix P1D CE is could easily be helmet mounted. (There is always a risk of injury with something attached to your helmet during a fall).

Depending on the vent arrangement of the helmet, a very neat solution is possible.

see http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=359119

Unfortunately my MET helmet looks different.

Apparently the P1D is very robust!!

[TUBE]AUOax9PDqok[/TUBE]

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my components in the mail so i'll start with the housing over the weekend and see when I can pick up the package from the post office.

Also found another two distributors for Cree components.

Will post some pics once I have the light finished.