Wheelbuild advice please!

There's no issue with straight pull hubs and spokes. DT Swiss are very good hubs but with the $/Rand exchange rate they are also very expensive. You can get as good but lighter alu hubs at a better price because of the high Rand/$ exchange rate

What advice are you looking for?

What is your weight?

What are the riding conditions e.g. marathon, XC or trail?

What is your Jeffsy?

Advice: Comment on my build decision, specifically straightpull or J-bend and 28 vs 32 hole. 

85kg pure muscle (and beer belly)

#Enduro

It's a trail bike, a very popular and common one.

I'm not a fan of carbon. And my wheelset will be Alu. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the hi-jack....

In a similar predicament, I want to build a set of 650B enduro wheels for my Banshee Spitfire, I have Hope Pro 2 hubs and looking to go with wide rims (>27mm), I'm looking at WTB Frequency i29's from CRC, is there anything available locally that won't break the bank (I know of the Rapide rims, but also looking at other well known brands)....or should I buy a complete wheelset secondhand for around R3-4k?

Thanks,

Dale

You have a beer belly and a Jeffsy and you're worried about a 40g weight penalty?

ai tog.....

Marginal frikkin' gains man!!!

You have a beer belly and a Jeffsy and you're worried about a 40g weight penalty?

ai tog.....

What do you say to people with ENVE rims? 

se voet. 

Stronger. Have a piss before your ride. 

Look, he's on a Jeffsy and has already surrendered his bottle cage and bottle... 

Look, he's on a Jeffsy and has already surrendered his bottle cage and bottle... 

This is amazingly irritating. I have considered getting another frame due to this LOL

Sorry for the hi-jack....

In a similar predicament, I want to build a set of 650B enduro wheels for my Banshee Spitfire, I have Hope Pro 2 hubs and looking to go with wide rims (>27mm), I'm looking at WTB Frequency i29's from CRC, is there anything available locally that won't break the bank (I know of the Rapide rims, but also looking at other well known brands)....or should I buy a complete wheelset secondhand for around R3-4k?

Thanks,

Dale

Maybe ask Lyne components if they are selling rims yet.

The Spank Oozy 345 (30 mm internal) rims are absolutely bulletproof, and its not a rim that every moegoe is riding....

That extra 30g for the set over the DT's is not desireable  :devil:  :devil:

What do you say to people with ENVE rims? 

I don't really say anything. You asked for advice. Most guys who own Enve wheels knew exactly what they were doing.

I ride a set of Chris Kings on Spank 345 rims. 2mm/1.7mm/2mm double butted spokes and have WTB 2.4 trail boss tires on. The wheels are light enough and also bog standard to replace spokes if necessary. 

Marginal gains and 100g of weight only actually make a difference if you are riding top level numbers, with top level skills with top level fitness against other guys in the same boat.

Weight weenie'ing over 40 to 100g when you aren't aren't even pushing your body or your bike to it's full capacity is pointless. The marginal gains are lost anyway by far bigger influences like beer bellies and cheat meals.

I never said what you were building was bad, seems like a rad wheelset and the DT ratchet system is hands down my favourite drive mechanism (I have it on my roadie and my cross bike).. Straight pull spokes are a pain. More than one wheel builder has said so on this thread. 

32 hole wheels are better if you're 85kg and ride a Jeffsy to 45% of it's capabilities.

If you aren't doing that, pretty much any decent tubeless wheelset will do. The Jeffsy isn't a marathon/XCO bike, so my advice is to buy whatever is bombproof, fit them and learn to ride the Jeffsy properly. That way, while you make bad line choices and case things your wheels won't fall apart and force you to buy other wheels later. #futureproof

Advice: Comment on my build decision, specifically straightpull or J-bend and 28 vs 32 hole. 

85kg pure muscle (and beer belly)

#Enduro

It's a trail bike, a very popular and common one.

I'm not a fan of carbon. And my wheelset will be Alu. 

Nothing wrong with your build spec, like what was previously mentioned you could probably go with Hope or Novatec hubs if cost is an issue

If you ride very aggressive and tend to ride hard on your wheels go for the 32hole, If you confident you wont break or bend them then 28 should be fine especially if you can drop about 3 kg's on the bike weight e.g with all your kit on