Dullstroom MTB Routes

CraigCCW

I love the area. Great training routes with climbing in any direction you go out. My parents lives on a farm 30km from dullstroom down korfsnek climb. If I visit I always plan a hard training block with good climbing. Did a ride at the end of December 2018 with 2900m of climbing in 160km with the lowest point around 600m asl and the highest 2300m. Magical place for big training. And lots of small towns connecting the loops for stopping and fueling. (Oh and be carefull going down korfsnek (where the f@ck is tonteldoos strava segment) I went down hard on loose rocks on a turn. Ended my lekker 160km ride and got me 3 weeks off the bike with stitches in the knee.)

Looking forward to this weekend. Gonne visit the family!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the area. Great training routes with climbing in any direction you go out. My parents lives on a farm 30km from dullstroom down korfsnek climb. If I visit I always plan a hard training block with good climbing. Did a ride at the end of December 2018 with 2900m of climbing in 160km with the lowest point around 600m asl and the highest 2300m. Magical place for big training. And lots of small towns connecting the loops for stopping and fueling. (Oh and be carefull going down korfsnek (where the f@ck is tonteldoos strava segment) I went down hard on loose rocks on a turn. Ended my lekker 160km ride and got me 3 weeks off the bike with stitches in the knee.)

Looking forward to this weekend. Gonne visit the family!

I'm often in Dullstroom over weekends. Could you share the routes you ride? Where is Korfsnek?

My 2 usual big routes are:

1) Town -> Highland Gate Golf Estate -> Kruisfontein Climb (super tough and rocky, fun in reverse) back to Town.

2) Town -> Tonteldoos -> R577 (with nice long tar climb) -> Verlorenvlei dirt roads -> Train tack to Town

I love exploring new routes in the area. My last ride was from Town to Milly's on dirt road and back.

I'm often in Dullstroom over weekends. Could you share the routes you ride? Where is Korfsnek?

My 2 usual big routes are:

1) Town -> Highland Gate Golf Estate -> Kruisfontein Climb (super tough and rocky, fun in reverse) back to Town.

2) Town -> Tonteldoos -> R577 (with nice long tar climb) -> Verlorenvlei dirt roads -> Train tack to Town

I love exploring new routes in the area. My last ride was from Town to Milly's on dirt road and back.

On 23 march 2018 in this thread Pall Cat mentions korfsnek with a link.

If you want to do another lekker gravel climb not ridden by mtbers a lot(as seen on strava) you can go down into the bushveld. This is the lowest point. Follow the route as follows:

On the gravel road from dullstroom to tonteldoos turn left just before tonteldoos (think theres a sign laersdrift) and keep straight on that gravel road over the r555 stoffberg-roosenekal tar road. Its a jewel. Bushveld gravel road steeply winding down into the gorge. Around 50km from dullstroom to the lowest point and then the works starts...all the way back up to dullstroom @2000+ meters.

You can also go back via the r577 tar road through roossenekal if you want a sadistic climbing day.

Also love exploring around there. R33 to belfast also has a good climb.

Will figure out how to load some routes.

Edited by Stevovo

• 3 weeks later...

On 23 march 2018 in this thread Pall Cat mentions korfsnek with a link.

If you want to do another lekker gravel climb not ridden by mtbers a lot(as seen on strava) you can go down into the bushveld. This is the lowest point. Follow the route as follows:

On the gravel road from dullstroom to tonteldoos turn left just before tonteldoos (think theres a sign laersdrift) and keep straight on that gravel road over the r555 stoffberg-roosenekal tar road. Its a jewel. Bushveld gravel road steeply winding down into the gorge. Around 50km from dullstroom to the lowest point and then the works starts...all the way back up to dullstroom @2000+ meters.

You can also go back via the r577 tar road through roossenekal if you want a sadistic climbing day.

Also love exploring around there. R33 to belfast also has a good climb.

Will figure out how to load some routes.

Havent gone far beyond the R555 intersection myself, but working from your description, I take it this is the route you are talking about? Is it an out and back route if you dont return via the R577?

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2451227074

Edited by Pall Catt

Also: take the gravel road from Dullstroom to Tonteldoos. Turn left just before Tonteldoos to Laersdrift. Then turn left on tar R55 past Laersdrift, left again on R33 Groblersdal/Stoffberg(tar), left again in Stoffberg to Belfast. About 7 km out you turn left on gravel, and then right at the split. You will then do Korff's Neck, just after turn right to Dullstroom and enjoy a further 15km solid (gentle'ish) climb back.

For anyone looking for more routes, here is also a decent route the other side of Dullstroom (towards Machadodorp):

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2451241099

77.65km with 1,051m of climbing.

Head out of Dullstroom towards Belfast. Take the first tar road left towards Highland Gate. About 7.5km down that road, roughly halfway down a major descent, look out for the gravel road to the right, I think its signposted for Elandsfontein. Follow that road for about 6km till its end, then turn left. About 8km further you reach an intersection where you take a left towards the big Maraiskop tower. Here a nice big descent starts, but be on the lookout for a turnoff to the right about 4km after the tower. Take this turn and follow the normal course of this road till it ends at a T-junction after about 8km, turn right and follow this road for about 9km to an intersection where you turn right again and you're now starting the long slog home where you'll just follow this road all the way for 20km till it ends at the tar road between Belfast and Dullstroom. Turn right to head back to Dullstroom. Note though, this last section of about 8km on that tar road is not so lekker with not much of a shoulder to hide from the traffic.

Thanks for the routes. Did a few 2 weeks ago during the Lekkerland Fees.

Going back to Pta we decided to ride via Korfnek back to Belfast, got a bit lost but found the R33 climb just before Belfast. What a beast! 4.3km @ 7% took me almost 30 minutes!!!!!

Havent gone far beyond the R555 intersection myself, but working from your description, I take it this is the route you are talking about? Is it an out and back route if you dont return via the R577?

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2451227074

Yes thats the route. You can do out and back for the shortest distance yes. Its a long one if you want to get there.

Edited by Stevovo

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Dullstroom this long weekend and planning on doing a 100km LSD. Can't find a nice route with little climbing  :wacko:. I might just plan a 50km route and loop it twice.

Going to Dullstroom this long weekend and planning on doing a 100km LSD. Can't find a nice route with little climbing  :wacko:. I might just plan a 50km route and loop it twice.

I'm also there this long weekend, I've sent you a pm with my contact details. Anybody else going to Dullstroom this weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone (especially Pall who helped me out last year)

I am heading for Dullstrooom this coming weekend (seems to have become an annual trip) and this year will be staying at the Highland Gate estate which I assume is linked fk the golf course.

The Highland Gate website mentioned a 43km route from the gate house but doesn’t make five any further directions, so was wondering if anyone else had any interesting MTB routes (40-50km or around 3 hours) starting from Highland Gate??

Many thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone (especially Pall who helped me out last year)

I am heading for Dullstrooom this coming weekend (seems to have become an annual trip) and this year will be staying at the Highland Gate estate which I assume is linked fk the golf course.

The Highland Gate website mentioned a 43km route from the gate house but doesn’t make five any further directions, so was wondering if anyone else had any interesting MTB routes (40-50km or around 3 hours) starting from Highland Gate??

Many thanks

Sorry man, I didnt see this until now. Definitely could have recommended a route from the Golf Course.

This would be a good 55km route that will see you digging deep to get up a really tough climb early on, and but then enjoying a nice downhill pretty much most of the way home: https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3393583081

It does include about 10km on the tar road between Dullstroom and Lydenburg which is not so lekker. There are ways to avoid most of this but it makes the route longer and there's one section which feels like it might be trespassing though nobody has ever given me any problems.

This route could also obviously be done in reverse if you wanted to make the climb longer but less steep.

Edited by Pall Catt

• 1 month later...

Will be in Dullstroom next weekend and keen to take the bikes with. My is 6 and can comfortably manage a 15-20km ride. Safety is obviously extremely important - any recommendations? Dunkeld seems like a great possibility?

• 3 years later...

Hi there,
Any updates on the safety of the Dullstroom routes?
Looking to do 30-50km, preferably non-technical, but safety is the biggest concern.

Also, any recommendations for accommodation for two on a weekend? Bed, hot shower and something to cook on is all that's required :)

Thank you in advance.

51 minutes ago, Gripen_85 said:

Hi there,
Any updates on the safety of the Dullstroom routes?
Looking to do 30-50km, preferably non-technical, but safety is the biggest concern.

Also, any recommendations for accommodation for two on a weekend? Bed, hot shower and something to cook on is all that's required :)

Thank you in advance.

Definitely safe to ride around there, I’ve done countless solo rides around Tonteldoos/Dullstroom. 

As for accommodation, there is no shortage of that. If you’re keen for a bumpy dirt road to tonteldoos then kiepersol farm is a nice stay