73mm BSA: GXP/BB30 clarity

MarcBurger

I know bottom brackets have been discussed endlessly before, but the more I read up the more confused I become. Essentially need some feedback before I pull the trigger on my shopping list:

My frame has a 73mm BSA threaded bottom bracket.

GX eagle groupset comes in both BB30 or GXP.

Hope have both a 30mm threaded BB cups and a BB for 24mm spindle cranks (I assume this means for GXP)

Is it just a matter of choosing one or the other? Or is there a clear better choice?

Lastly BOOST nonsense: My rear is a 12x148 boost. Do I need boost cranks? Spacer? Magic?

I know bottom brackets have been discussed endlessly before, but the more I read up the more confused I become. Essentially need some feedback before I pull the trigger on my shopping list:

My frame has a 73mm BSA threaded bottom bracket.

GX eagle groupset comes in both BB30 or GXP.

Hope have both a 30mm threaded BB cups and a BB for 24mm spindle cranks (I assume this means for GXP)

Is it just a matter of choosing one or the other? Or is there a clear better choice?

Lastly BOOST nonsense: My rear is a 12x148 boost. Do I need boost cranks? Spacer? Magic?

You need a Boost specific crankset, as it's offset.

Bb30 bb cups are available that fit in 'standard' threaded frames-their bearings are quite small, and they are very expensive.

If a bb does not say gxp specific, it's not. Gxp tightens against the bearing so special design. Also, gxp crankset spindles are 24mm drive side, 22mm non-drive.

Get the Boost GXP Eagle crankset and a GXP BB and you're golden.

The 24mm spindle is shimano specific.

GXP is a sram standard which is 24mm on the one side and 22mm on the other. Brands like token do one standard 24mm BB with a shim on the one side to step it down to 22mm

BB30 is a 30mm axle.

For your frame you can either get a GXP threaded BB or a 30mm threaded BB and then buy your crank accordingly.

For boost you just swop out the chainring on the eagle crank. Non boost has a 6mm offset on the ring whereas boost has a 3mm offset.

The 24mm spindle is shimano specific.

GXP is a sram standard which is 24mm on the one side and 22mm on the other. Brands like token do one standard 24mm BB with a shim on the one side to step it down to 22mm

BB30 is a 30mm axle.

For your frame you can either get a GXP threaded BB or a 30mm threaded BB and then buy your crank accordingly.

For boost you just swop out the chainring on the eagle crank. Non boost has a 6mm offset on the ring whereas boost has a 3mm offset.

Have you seen GXP work with a shim in a different bb type?

Have you seen GXP work with a shim in a different bb type?

Yebo. Hope supplies a spacer kit that means that their 24mm BBs are compatible with both Shimano and SRAM cranksets.

OP - For my money, I'd go with a GXP30 BB and BB30 crank. Best of both worlds - threaded BB and the stiffer 30mm axle.

Yebo. Hope supplies a spacer kit that means that their 24mm BBs are compatible with both Shimano and SRAM cranksets.

OP - For my money, I'd go with a GXP30 BB and BB30 crank. Best of both worlds - threaded BB and the stiffer 30mm axle.

Dammit. I just sold a nice GXP crankset because I thought it wouldn't work. Doesn't the side force of a GXP on the bb cause problems for bb's not designed for it?

Dammit. I just sold a nice GXP crankset because I thought it wouldn't work. Doesn't the side force of a GXP on the bb cause problems for bb's not designed for it?

Should have just bought a new BB...

N+1

Edited by droo

I have the Hope BB on my TT bike...when am racing I have the Quarq DZero GXP power meter on the bike.  During the off season and the bike is on the trainer, I switch crank and use an ultegra crank with shim.as it is a smart trainer so do not need the PM crank.