2018 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100

Spock

What a lekker ride. The weather was perfect, the route was flat, the villages and scenery were spectacular. I was not heartbroken that Leith Hill was closed off, crashes, tree fell over etc. Still rode Box which was closed off behind us. Lots of accidents and multiple stoppages on the narrow country lanes. Walking nearly 6000 steps in my MTB shoes wasn't that great. The espresso in Wimbledon, was a much needed boost, (like the bag of salt n vinegar crisps at 50 miles) before we went on the final few miles to the finish.

We approached it like we do all the SA mass participation events, very little training, social rides, soaking up the atmosphere. The ladies final sprint crashed right in front of us on Saturday, damn those ladies are hard, they were missing layers of skin all over.

The Brompton World Champs were hilarious. 55kmh bunches on fold up bikes in suits. Mal.

The weather, perfect. Bike shops are on sale. Yes! As always, a massive selection of great restaurants in London. Cycling around London with relative ease, bus and taxi drivers were very tolerant, bike lanes, very helpful, cycling along canals and the Thames, great memories.

Damn the locals also whinge about goodie bags, lack of medals blah, blah, blah, the same things all over again. Road closure in Westminster and London, awesome. Seafood paella along the Thames for 2.50 lekker. Enough indy coffee bars to skip Costa, Nero and 'Bucks. Splendid. Tandoori chikkin', garlic Naan and Dhal, yes please. Jack the Ripper walk at night Recommended.

Camden Market, colourful as always. We met a gin distiller dude and his pretty lady, moving their barge through the lock. He's a bloody ambassador for Sipsmith Gin... Tough life. It's very flavourful, just like the Earl Grey gin we had upstairs at the pub. At the other bar a young fella was singing Bowie, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac etc. Desperado beer infused with tequila, could be dangerous, so only had one.

Shopping on Oxford Street today, after an Almond croissant and coffee at 'Arrods. I haven't been in London for 22 years and it's still an amazing city (in the summer, even more so).

"He who is tired of London, is tired of Life" Must dash now chaps, the very short walk to the Underground station, in the 20 degree temp, beckons. Tally Ho.

The end, Fin, totsiens koebaai.

I had an entry but did not start. Wife away and when I checked train timetable could not get to start in time....blah blah,,,,anyway, I went and spectated just after the downhill past Newlands corner. You would of been gunning it at that stage. Also helped out my cyclin club with some logistics on the day.

As you say, weather was superb for cycling. I cycle along the route on a regular basis, apart from some dodgy pieces of tarmac it’s a hellova scenic cycle.

Yip, always been fascinated with London... njoy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lekker ride. The weather was perfect, the route was flat, the villages and scenery were spectacular. I was not heartbroken that Leith Hill was closed off, crashes, tree fell over etc. Still rode Box which was closed off behind us. Lots of accidents and multiple stoppages on the narrow country lanes. Walking nearly 6000 steps in my MTB shoes wasn't that great. The espresso in Wimbledon, was a much needed boost, (like the bag of salt n vinegar crisps at 50 miles) before we went on the final few miles to the finish.

We approached it like we do all the SA mass participation events, very little training, social rides, soaking up the atmosphere. The ladies final sprint crashed right in front of us on Saturday, damn those ladies are hard, they were missing layers of skin all over.

The Brompton World Champs were hilarious. 55kmh bunches on fold up bikes in suits. Mal.

The weather, perfect. Bike shops are on sale. Yes! As always, a massive selection of great restaurants in London. Cycling around London with relative ease, bus and taxi drivers were very tolerant, bike lanes, very helpful, cycling along canals and the Thames, great memories.

Damn the locals also whinge about goodie bags, lack of medals blah, blah, blah, the same things all over again. Road closure in Westminster and London, awesome. Seafood paella along the Thames for 2.50 lekker. Enough indy coffee bars to skip Costa, Nero and 'Bucks. Splendid. Tandoori chikkin', garlic Naan and Dhal, yes please. Jack the Ripper walk at night Recommended.

Camden Market, colourful as always. We met a gin distiller dude and his pretty lady, moving their barge through the lock. He's a bloody ambassador for Sipsmith Gin... Tough life. It's very flavourful, just like the Earl Grey gin we had upstairs at the pub. At the other bar a young fella was singing Bowie, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac etc. Desperado beer infused with tequila, could be dangerous, so only had one.

Shopping on Oxford Street today, after an Almond croissant and coffee at 'Arrods. I haven't been in London for 22 years and it's still an amazing city (in the summer, even more so).

"He who is tired of London, is tired of Life" Must dash now chaps, the very short walk to the Underground station, in the 20 degree temp, beckons. Tally Ho.

The end, Fin, totsiens koebaai.

I got in for 2019 but could not make it so deferred to 2020. Really looking forward to spending time in London. Going by your description it is going to be a blast!

I forgot to add, that the bike rental was an absolute dream. Yes my neck was on fire near the end, from a less than perfect set up, but compared to the schlep of taking your own bike with, the risk of damage and fighting with airlines, then trying to get to Heathrow and back with it, was worth the rental fee. I rode an aluminium Orro with carbon fork, 105 11 speed and Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels. Never missed a beat. I haven't ridden Shimano on the road for almost 10 years and I'm very impressed as to how they have upped their game.