Snapped CAAD 10 Fork

Bonker

Hey guys, any advice for me with this? It snapped as I pulled up to get out the saddle. I suspect it was caused by a crash I had a week or so ago. Does the fork need to be replaced or can it be repaired/cut? 

Appreciate any advice.

post-86000-0-76841700-1518514602_thumb.jpeg

post-86000-0-51341800-1518514641_thumb.jpeg

Replace it - immediately - or insure your front teeth.

Also - get the frame checked very carefully for a crack around the head tube - takes a lot to break a carbon tube like that - there may be more damage.

It's a bit of a strange place to snap from a crash. You sure that your stem wasn't over tightened.

Either way, throw it away.

Looks more like a failure from over-tightening the stem. In any case, just replace it and go easy on the stem bolts - it should be like 5nm, which is not very tight at all.

Get a small torque wrench while you're out shopping. 

Thanks guys! I did use a torque wrench on the stem bolts, so not sure if that's what it was.

Anyways, I'll have it replaced and have the framed checked as suggested buy V12man. Or maybe it's just time for new bike  :whistling:

From your photo the compression plug in fork was not in line with stem bolts. 

It is very important that the compression plug in inside of fork, supports the the fork from inside where you tighten the stem bolts out outside...

From your photo the compression plug in fork was not in line with stem bolts. 

It is very important that the compression plug in inside of fork, supports the the fork from inside where you tighten the stem bolts out outside...

Not something I would've thought of. Maybe that's reason. I've been riding like that for years. Suppose I should just be grateful it didn't snap on a descent.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bSnbjHiFXc

I follow this guy on Youtube, very informative about the construction of bikes and the flaws found in carbon. This type of damage could have been caused by a delamination  if and when the fork was cut at assembly or thereafter. as has also been mentioned it could have been due to over tightening of the stem bolts...

Not something I would've thought of. Maybe that's reason. I've been riding like that for years. Suppose I should just be grateful it didn't snap on a descent.  

me too! , then I saw a Youtube video on this topic :whistling:

Will try to post link later

Archived