Giant Anthem x 29 2013 or silverback Sprint 2017

NatashaHorne

Giant Anthem is a great all round bike. I'm sure the SB is also a good bike but the Anthem is a tried and tested bike.

Lol - re the biased.

Puting the bias aside.

Looking at the specs and components, which is the better of the 2 and are they priced right for what you are getting?

Lol - re the biased.

Puting the bias aside.

Looking at the specs and components, which is the better of the 2 and are they priced right for what you are getting?

That Anthem is 5 years old , whereas the SB looks quite new but with entry level components. Is it possible to ride both bikes and see which one you prefer?

That Anthem is 5 years old , whereas the SB looks quite new but with entry level components. Is it possible to ride both bikes and see which one you prefer?

Yeah which kind of makes the SB better. A deore 10spd is superior to an xtr 9 speed in my opinion thanks to trickle-down effect of the technology. Will also be easier to replace newer parts. The SB will also require no major service a all cables and bearing will be fine still whereas the Giant you don't actually know regardless of how well maintained it is. The SB also allows for 650b+ if i'm not mistaken.

I know which one I would like to come home to.

My Giant Anthem dual is also 5 years old, what is the life span of the bike out of interest?

( not looking for an excuse to buy new  :whistling:  )

My Giant Anthem dual is also 5 years old, what is the life span of the bike out of interest?

( not looking for an excuse to buy new  :whistling:  )

Mine is 2 years old and I need an excuse as well please! 

Both bikes look good. 

The SB looks a little on the heavy side based on the components and Shock.

The Anthem is a great bike. The most expensive item to repair would be the shocks.

You need to check their wear and when last they were serviced. The pivots on the bike are pretty standard.  If they don't creak, then all good for now. Check the wear of the chain with a tool and it will help you determine the mileage of the bike.

Good Luck

Yeah which kind of makes the SB better. A deore 10spd is superior to an xtr 9 speed in my opinion thanks to trickle-down effect of the technology. Will also be easier to replace newer parts. The SB will also require no major service a all cables and bearing will be fine still whereas the Giant you don't actually know regardless of how well maintained it is. The SB also allows for 650b+ if i'm not mistaken.

I know which one I would like to come home to.

The Anthem has SLX/XT 3x10 componets and a Fox fork.  If the Anthem is in good condition then it is by far a better buy than the entry level Silverback.

Edited by PeterF