Easton Broken Rear Axle - Which replacement Wheelset?

Vetplant

I am relatively heavy, 96kg, working towards being sub 90kg.

I have had my secondhand Specialized Tarmac with EASTON EA 50 SL wheels for two years now.

Last week I was practicing a sprint effort and the chain slipped off the chainring with the associated near tumble and extra forces on the wheelset. Afterwards I saw the rear cassette was sliding left and right while shifting and after inspection the axle was completely broken off.

I took the Wheel to Cycle Lab Lynwood on Monday, but they have yet to find a replacement for the axle throughout their entire network of contacts. So I am thinking of taking the broken axle and have our machine shop manufacture one from scratch to at least salvage the rear wheel for training.

But now the actual question:

I am looking at wheelsets in the classifieds in the sub R5k range, which wheels are some of the more robust options? Taking into account the fact that 2nd hand wheels have already been ridden and their life has probably been shortened.

I can get these HUNT wheels NEW and Delivered which are rated at 115kg rider weight and 1579g for the wheelset.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-rim-brake-wheels/products/hunt-4season-aero-road-wheelset-1589g-28deep-22wide

They cost R5k, if I add R1300 they will fit 25mm tubeless tyres for me, which makes allot of sense.

So, 2nd hand wheelset in the classifieds or new Hunt Wheels?

Have a look at the Mavic Ksyrium wheels.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/294049-mavic-ksyrium-elite-s-wheelset/

They're really strong and reasonably light.

Can't comment on the hunt wheels but they look good value. If you want tubeless. I ride tubeless Eastons (EA90SLX) and love them. Those hutchinson tyres aren't great but they'll do. But you need to add at least 20% VAT and customs. And wait a while. 

Just a warning. Some tyres (tubeless) can be a real pain to fit onto AC wheels. If you haven't bought tyres already, it's worth getting the Schwalbe One / Pro One. I had Hutchinson Fusions on my AC argents and got so frustrated one day while fitting a new tyre, I sold them after just 3 months. 

And be careful to not damage the rim tape - happens really easy on those wheels. Otherwise, good wheels.

Just a warning. Some tyres (tubeless) can be a real pain to fit onto AC wheels. If you haven't bought tyres already, it's worth getting the Schwalbe One / Pro One. I had Hutchinson Fusions on my AC argents and got so frustrated one day while fitting a new tyre, I sold them after just 3 months.

And be careful to not damage the rim tape - happens really easy on those wheels. Otherwise, good wheels.

Thanks for the tip, haven't bought tyres yet.

Any advice on LBS that sells and is willing to fit those Schwalbes? I am located in Pta but I am willing to drive to JHB to get this done properly.

Don't know any LBS in PTA but evobikes sells the Schwalbe's. Very easy to fit - usually no tools needed. In fact, AC recommend no tools so you don't damage the tape. The Schwalbe's also usually inflate with a normal foot pump, so no need to go to the petrol station. If you do it yourself, it's worth getting a schrader-presta adaptor so you can use the garage air compressors if needed. Otherwise you have to use a co2 canister.

Regarding the broken axle. I had the same issue. Funny story...I scratched around in an old box of engine spares and found an old VW beetle push rod. It is the exact diameter for the axle and the hard alu is slightly thicker inside. I got a machine shop to turn the bearing seats and worked fine. Otherwise just get some steel rod and any machine shop can turn it for you.

Don't know any LBS in PTA but evobikes sells the Schwalbe's. Very easy to fit - usually no tools needed. In fact, AC recommend no tools so you don't damage the tape. The Schwalbe's also usually inflate with a normal foot pump, so no need to go to the petrol station. If you do it yourself, it's worth getting a schrader-presta adaptor so you can use the garage air compressors if needed. Otherwise you have to use a co2 canister.

Fitting the Schwalbe Pro One's onto the AC Victory 30's was impossible without tyre levers, eventually resorted to plastic tyre levers which I used very carefully. Took me two hours to mount 2 tyres :cursing: .

First tyre simply did not want to inflate with the foot pump, eventually grabbed a bomb and it worked. 2nd tyre worked on the first attempt with the footpump, but couldn't figure out what was different from my two approaches.

Thus I am finally tubeless on my roadbike and as an added bonus my wheelset can now accomodate 11speed, which means an upgrade from my current 9-speed is on the cards in the next year.

Only frustration now is that I mounted the tyre on the back wheel in the wrong direction, and I was so frustrated with the mounting process that I just left it as is, didn't want to go through the whole process again.

Does anyone know what the implications are for running a tyre the wrong way round on a road bike? Reduced grip in the wet due to the tread pattern not being ideal?

Glad they're sorted - I wouldn't worry about the direction. Got this from another forum.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/profil.html wrote:

In the case of a road tyre the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires marked with arrows simply look more dynamic..

Thanks, will roll with them until the bike goes to a LBS for something, at which time I will ask them if they could just swap the tyre around, because it will look better the "right" way round.