[A] Safety Tracking App or device

Reme Le Hane

Hey,

So as I am starting to go out for longer and longer rides, it getting tot he point where I am getting this "why are you not dead" phone calls owing to not checking in.

I know Garmin has LiveTrack, but I do not own a Garmin and while I would like one, I am having a hard time justifying 10k when I already have the TomTom Adventurer, and that for effectively 1 feature.

Strava beacon would work, but that would require a premium sub and tracking my rides with my phone too, which is some what redundant, and I would prefer to not financially support a company that actively ignores users request and is quickly moving towards FaceStrava.

I am pretty sure not every riders uses Beacon or LiveTrack and google is not really helping with other options, so I was wondering what you guys use to keeps the loved ones minds at ease while your out having fun not thinking about them at all... lol

I would think something like a more realtime version of that CycleSense Netstar is punting would work well

Thanks

Edited by Reme Le Hane

Hi Reme,

I don't want to go all "salesy" on you, so let me start with a disclaimer, Shake2Alert is my company. Hopefully others who are using the app will also weigh in on its effectiveness.

You can set up the app before you leave on a ride, so that your loved one is able to watch where you are, in real time, from either a computer or their phone. It can also be easily programmed to let all of your emergency contacts know if you stopped moving for a pre-determined time while on your ride.

Other useful features are that it can raise an alert if you don't get back by a pre-determined time, with your last known location, even if your phone is dead or you are in an area with no signal.

And then there's the main reason for the development of the app, allowing you to instantly and easily let people know that you're in trouble. The best way to do this is to wear our bluetooth panic button, paired to the app. Just press the button and an alert is immediately sent to all of your emergency contacts, with your exact location and also video and audio of what is happening around you. The phone continues to be tracked, so that it can be recovered if stolen, as well as providing evidence. 

Anyway, probably best that you have a look at the website, https://shake2alert.com and see for yourself. There's a 30 day money back guarantee, so put it through its paces and if it doesn't do everything which you need then you'll get a full refund, no questions asked.

PS. Yes, I know that the shake function may not be the best for some cyclists, so this is programmable for strength and length of shake, and apart from the button there are also various other ways of activating an alert. It's just that the name seemed easy for most people to remember and understand. 

Spot tracker is an option, someone can track you, you also have a help which you can push to alert your next of kin, otherwise there is an SOS button which internationally calls for help and they will send anything up to a helicopter.

If you just want the mrs to know where you are whatsapp share live location with the mrs and she can see if you are moving and where you are.

My wife and I use Find my Phone to great success. I use Life360 on android devices as trackers in my trucks, and I have the MYSOS App on my phones as well. Alot of races have partnered with them and I know it made a helicopter extraction at the staalwater race a lot easier.

None of these will be able to speak for me of I am unconscious though.

You can pair a Bluetooth panic button with MYSOS though.

Spot tracker is an option, someone can track you, you also have a help which you can push to alert your next of kin, otherwise there is an SOS button which internationally calls for help and they will send anything up to a helicopter.

If you just want the mrs to know where you are whatsapp share live location with the mrs and she can see if you are moving and where you are.

Tried WA it before, was not really all that helpful and we dont use it anymore anyway.

My wife and I use Find my Phone to great success. I use Life360 on android devices as trackers in my trucks, and I have the MYSOS App on my phones as well. Alot of races have partnered with them and I know it made a helicopter extraction at the staalwater race a lot easier.

None of these will be able to speak for me of I am unconscious though.

You can pair a Bluetooth panic button with MYSOS though.

Always wear and ICE band (need a new one, its kinda fading), so I have covered the non-verbal coms, should give that live360 a shot again, used it a while back but was a bit of a battery drain. Should try it on the new phones.

We use WhatsApp live tracking. Wifey can see where I am at. Whether I am moving or still on my route. Yes, I know it only works in cell tower range and does not have an auto crash call for help function, but works for us.

SPOT is great (I have one) - but it is not a cheap option annually. Worth it if you ride/trek etc alone a lot. There is also a newer Garmin device which has both a GPS, tracker, and 2-way satellite communicator based on Iridium network - InReach I think is the name. Again, it needs an annual subscription, and when I looked the price was rather higher than SPOT so I didn't have an incentive to swap. Plus the SPOT works of AAAs which last literally days whereas the Garmin needs charging.

Other than that, plenty of cell based trackers etc that are good for multiple hours of continuous use. I may end up swapping back to one of those at some stage purely on price grounds. Will see what else comes to market

Edited by walkerr

We use WhatsApp live tracking. Wifey can see where I am at. Whether I am moving or still on my route. Yes, I know it only works in cell tower range and does not have an auto crash call for help function, but works for us.

I also use it and works just fine..................

Looks neat. Assume any alerts are cell based rather than satellite based - so a handy device, but still reliant on cell coverage (admittedly fine for a lot of areas)

Edit - ah sorry, specs lower down to state cell based

Edited by walkerr