Pyga 110 Frame Advice

DCJ

Hi everyone, I walked into a local shop today to fine a medium Pyga 110 frame at about 25% off (+-R16500). I am a huge Pyga fan, however buying a complete new bike for R70k (as the new ones go for) is never going to be a possibility for me.

So, I was thinking this might be a good opportunity to buy the frame, and move the parts over from my XC hardtail (with a few necessary changes, through axle and possibly hub etc). The hardtail has (in my mind at least), many parts that will move over fine, breaks, drive train (2 x 10 XT Shimano), wheels, seatpost and a few other odds and ends. Then, there are some (non mandatory) things that I would look at replacing immediately, for example:

- Handlebars, XC bike has 780mm flats, I would look at some 760mm risers

- Stem, current bike has a 90mm 6 degree, would probably replace with a 70mm similar to the recommended spec for the 110

My hardtails fork is a Rockshox Reba (100mm), ultimately I would like to replace this with a 130mm Revalation or Pike. But this will be a long term goal, as it is currently out of budget. I have been doing some reading, and apparently it is possible to increase the travel of the Solo Air Reba's to 120mm with a few new parts, not sure if I will easily find someone to do it here in SA, but it might be a nice short term adjustment.

Other things like breaks, cranks/drive train etc I will change as they break/wear out.

Are there any obvious flaws with this plan? Obviously a 100mm fork on a more trail focused bike is not ideal, but will it be manageable until I find someone to adjust the fork travel? Are there any hidden expenses that I might be missing in the short term? Right now I probably have a budget of max 21k, this will have to cover minimum the frame, labor to move things over, mandatory parts that are not compatible between bikes etc. 

I guess I am looking for a confidence boost before I go and spend that much money on a process that might not work out. The other option is saving up for another 2 - 3 years and getting a brand new trail oriented bike when I can afford the complete set. 

Thanks for reading the wall of text, especially over a holiday weekend. Any advice would be appreciated.

I did a similar build a couple of months back. My plan was also to transfer most of my hardtail parts over to the Pyga and sell of the remains from the hardtail. After a lot of calcs I realized that I would recover more from my old bike by selling it as a unit and just buy everything new for the Pyga. At the time I got a few black Friday deals and that helped a lot. Overall it cost me more, but I got more for my old bike and I ended up with a complete new bike.

What you want to do however is very possible. Rapide is a very good option for the stem, handbar, seatpost (not sure if your old bike is 30.9), etc. at very affordable prices.

Other things to look out for that might be hidden costs are the brake hoses (the rear will be longer on the new frame) that will need a new olive, insert, etc. Some of these things are hard to come by locally on their own, unless you buy a hose kit. Same goes for the rear mech that migh need a new housing and cable.

You will also probably need a new headset. The easiest is to get the Cane Creek that Pyga uses as OEM.

The small things that add up in the end are grips, bottle cages (the Spez side entry works best), etc.

Let me know if you need more specific info, I build mine very recently.

Edited by FDP

Just to add, I know a guy running a 100mm Reba on this frame. No problems.

Thanks for the info/posts! What was the cost +- for your build? I could go a similar route, I am not 100% sure, but I would probably get +- R10 000 optimistically for my GT Zaskar Expert LE (https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/GT/Zaskar-LE-9R-Expert,12944). This, my current savings, and about R5000 from the tax man in July would give me about R20k for parts. I don't have any experience with building a bike, but in my head that doesn't seem like a enough, with having to buy a fork, full groupset, breaks and wheels. The guy at the shop did mention that Pyga might be able to provide a build set at a more reasonably price due to their buying power, maybe that is worth investigating.

Do you perhaps have a list of parts that you went with? It would be cool to see what is possible, and use that as a benchmark/list of things that are actually needed.

Having recently gone through a similar experience, I can suggest the following.

First, manage your expectations and work on the idea of receiving less for your current bike (say +/-8k, sucks but the 2nd hand market is not the place to make money). Then for your build, consider the following ball park figures for parts if opting for new:

Fork (Reba 120mm): 7.5k

Groupset (assume 1x11): 5k (Lyne crank, BB, slx 1x11 upgrade kit)

Brakes (guide level tl+centerline rotors): 3.5k

Wheels (rapide) and tyres: 6k

Stem+steerer: R500

Seatpost: could save here and keep a fixed post or look at a Rapide or Lyne dropper (1.5-2.5k)

Then budget for extras like labour (if you need help with the build) and odds and ends like brake adapters and spacers. You'll also need to get a headset (cane creek 40 series) which is around R900.

So all in it's reasonable to consider the build at around R25k excluding the frame. There are obviously areas you could possibly save further on, like cheaper brakes and purchasing second hand items (eg fork), but these are decisions you'll need to make. You can also explore the option of purchasing a predetermined build through Pyga or LBS, but this may offer you less customisation. Again, depends what you're after.

Essentially the two important points to digest are, expect to get less for your current bike than hoped and expect to spend more on the build than planned. Happy bike building!

Like above, the total build cost really depends on what you want to spec it at.

I would not really put a lower spec’d fork than a Reba (120mm) on the Pyga. R7.5k sounds ballpark. Have a look at specials.

CWC had Stans wheelset options with Hope pro 4 evo hubs for just more than R5k. That is hard to beat for a decent option.

Bits and bobs (stem, handbar, seatpost, saddle, etc.) can be had cheapest from Rapide (they do combo deals as well)

Drivetrain is really up to you. The cheapest crankset is probably a Rapide again. For this frame I would go XT 1x11 for a rear mech, but Sram 11speed will be a good budget option.

A lot of the above can be bought second hand as well to save big buck. No a lot of money in 2nd hand parts. The minimum stuff I would buy new are the BB and headset.

My total build came in just over R40k with a replacement value of about R70k. That gives you an idea of the savings to be had if you wait for specials and shop around. I also did everything myself.

Thanks guys you have helped a lot, much appreciated! I will think carefully about it and weigh up the options.

I would perhaps look at upping the fork to a 140, really makes the beast in the bike smile ! still good for marathons but when you hit the good stuff it more than makes up!!

I would perhaps look at upping the fork to a 140, really makes the beast in the bike smile ! still good for marathons but when you hit the good stuff it more than makes up!!

It won't take much arm twisting to make me put a 140mm on it when I have the cash! It seems like quite a versatile frame. I do like going on long rides, but doing them at a slightly slower speed because of a slightly heavier/longer travel fork doesn't bother me a bit. Would rather have something that can take a few more knocks.

• 1 year later...

Any body seen any 110 frames for sale as of late?

We have this shiny New PYGA 110 sitting on the showroom floor looking for a new home...

post-18997-0-67090000-1566334701_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants more details or pricing contact us.

Email: sales@easybike.co.za

Regards

EasyBike

Edited by EasyBike