Rhebokskloof?

trasver

Hi all - so I did a search of the site and any info I can find is a few years old.

Myself and a mate are planning on heading through to Rhebokskloof on Sunday to do a fairly lengthy ride as part of our preparation for Sani2C.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on the best combination of the various trails that will give us a good long ride (>50km) without too much repetition?

Also, from what I could find online one can gets permits from 8am - is there any way of getting them earlier like an honesty box?  (I've contacted them but got an "out of office" bounceback)

Thanks for any suggestions

Here is the ride we did for the Sanlam MTB Invitational which should all be open to the public which is about 40km, if you add a detour to the monument you should get to 50km easily

https://www.strava.com/activities/780764196

Don't know about getting an early permit, but maybe start-off in the reserve first and then do Rhebokskloof later on?

I did my first ride there on 2 weeks ago. AFAIK there is no honesty box. You need to get a wrist band to prove payment. This happens at the shop behind the restaurant.

As far as the trails are concerned, blue/red/black converge most of the time, with the red and black segments going up the hill. Black splits from red for the final climb to the second viewpoint, where red drops down the hill to the start. After going around the black route, it converges back at the split, where the 2 trails become one again.

If you are looking for some distance, perhaps do 2 laps, but be warned, remember to pack your climbing legs, you will need them.

All in all, it's a fun ride, but take note of the cave and the rocky garden / drop section, they are very technical and require sussing before taking them on for the first time. You will know what I mean when you get there.

Do the Black and then the red route. So you do 1 and a half laps of the same trail. I would go do a lap of Welvanpas's White route for more marathon  training... Rheeboks is fun riding and also hard, but not so much marathon vibes. You will enjoy it either way.

yeah, if you looking for the distance (non repetitive routes) i wouldn't recommend Rhebokskoof. 

Wow - thanks everyone for the brilliant information.  We're somewhat tied to Rhebokskloof as we have a brunch beside there straight afterwards - but Welvenpas isn't that far away so perhaps we could consider there too!

Thanks again

Wow - thanks everyone for the brilliant information.  We're somewhat tied to Rhebokskloof as we have a brunch beside there straight afterwards - but Welvenpas isn't that far away so perhaps we could consider there too!

Thanks again

You can pay with Snapscan at Rhebokskloof or Spice Route. I did a plus 50km ride there over December, Start at Rhebokskloof, drop down into Spice Route\FairView for the Red Route, I think by now there might just be a Black Route too, nothing is repetitive on the single track side, except for the gravel road on the return leg back over Paarl Mountain to get back into Rheboskloof i.e. the section between Spice Route & Rhebokkloof. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/1316817685

Here is my Strava Ride for what I suggested above. Just cut out the first 51kms which was all tar road. So you can clearly see 56kms of trails of which 80% was single track & nothing was repetitive here. The plan was to return back over to Rhebokskloof but i had to call it quits at Spice Route as I had nothing left in the tank & temps were already hitting close to 30 Degrees.

Awesome thanks Milky - jeez that was some ride - bet that coke tasted great ;-)

Like Honey. A word of caution as I dont know if the route is marked already to go over from Rhebokskloof & down into Spice Route but as backup perhaps you should download the file & load onto your GPS unit before hand.

Like Honey. A word of caution as I dont know if the route is marked already to go over from Rhebokskloof & down into Spice Route but as backup perhaps you should download the file & load onto your GPS unit before hand.

What was left unsaid was that the coke was chased by a few CBC's...(wink wink, nudge nudge)

What was left unsaid was that the coke was chased by a few CBC's...(wink wink, nudge nudge)

Would be a real shame if I clocked all those miles with no reward, besides there were plenty of burned up calories that had to be restored.

Archived