Swopping Brake Cable

Balooba

Hi all. Info needed please - AGAIN bought something that is not working completely.

I have a set of Avid brakes on my bike. Swapped them with a set of SLX brakes. On front and rear, the SLX cables are both about 5cm shorter than the Avids. Question:

1. Will it make a difference using them like that?

2. Can I swop the cabling between the 2 sets?

3. Would I need to re-cable the SLX with longer cable's (costly?

Please help.....

In my humble experience:

1. If the hoses are not pinching or under tension at any point when properly routed (also check when handlebars are turned max to both sides), you may get away with it

2. Rather not. The two systems use different types of oil which could be harmful to your components when mixed

3. Probably best in the long run (and most cost effective)

But get some more opinions. There will always be someone with more experience who can give you the best solution

Edited by SuperDooperSnooper

In my humble experience:

1. If the cables are not pinching or under tension at any point when properly routed (also check when handlebars are turned max to both sides), you may get away with it

2. Rather not. The two systems use different types of oil which could be harmful to your components when mixed

But get some more opinions. There will always be someone with more experience who can give you the best solution

Point 2.

NEVER EVER, shimano uses mineral oil, avid use dot( dont know which one) the dot fluid will destroy the components of the shimano breaks, not sure what exactly, think its some of the seals as they are not designed for DOT fluid which can be corrosive if the components are not designed for the fluid.

if you dont believe me drop some on car paintwork it will strip the paint to the bodywork. same principal in shimano brakes.

I'm with superdoopersnooper,

if you can turn the handlebars fully when they are on, then the distance is not an issue. if you can't do this and was to have a fall, you could damage the hose, 

Redoing the with new hose, should be fairly cheap..not to sure of amount but won't be a lot.

Edited by T-Bag68

As long as the cables are not pinching or pulling tight it should not be a problem to use them as is.

If you re-do the hosing yourself it is not a major expensive thing to do. Hose, olives and oil should not put you back more than about R500.00

In my humble experience:

1. If the hoses are not pinching or under tension at any point when properly routed (also check when handlebars are turned max to both sides), you may get away with it

WINNER WINNER!!!

Point 2.

NEVER EVER, shimano uses mineral oil, avid use dot( dont know which one) the dot fluid will destroy the components of the shimano breaks, not sure what exactly, think its some of the seals as they are not designed for DOT fluid which can be corrosive if the components are not designed for the fluid.

if you dont believe me drop some on car paintwork it will strip the paint to the bodywork. same principal in shimano brakes.

yes!

however, i cleaned out an old shimano hose, and fit as is with the shimano olive and insert to my guides, they working 100%

yes!

however, i cleaned out an old shimano hose, and fit as is with the shimano olive and insert to my guides, they working 100%

what i meant is, most(probably all) brake hoses are brake hoses are brake hoses, they are compatible with both DOT and Mineral Oil. This is an assumption based on any after market hoses, don't specify apart from the hose's attachments(olives, inserts, etc)

the Shimano lever caliper is Mineral Oil only

the Sram lever caliper is DOT Fluid only

what i meant is, most(probably all) brake hoses are brake hoses are brake hoses, they are compatible with both DOT and Mineral Oil. This is an assumption based on any after market hoses, don't specify apart from the hose's attachments(olives, inserts, etc)

the Shimano lever caliper is Mineral Oil only

the Sram lever caliper is DOT Fluid only

Brake hose is brake hose, it's the rubber bits that are specific to the fluid. 

But - you can't swap Shimano and Avid hoses because the fittings are different.

and from the OP i assume you mean brake hoses not cables?

Yes sir, my humble apology. Started cycling on an old back-pedal Western Flyer. Coming down a hill with the chain off taught me how to "tuck and roll"......

As long as the cables are not pinching or pulling tight it should not be a problem to use them as is.

If you re-do the hosing yourself it is not a major expensive thing to do. Hose, olives and oil should not put you back more than about R500.00

Thanks. Do you need to change the olives when putting new hoses on?

Thought as much. Thanks for the advise.

it seems to be holding, i'll confirm after a few weeks.

Took an old hose off SLX brakes fitted to my Guide RSC just replaced the boot at the lever and bob's your uncle