XC/TRAIL BIKE

dalecpt

Hi Gents,

Looking for some good advise on my new purchase of a sort of "do it all" bike.

Good for the flats, climbing and trails. Looking to spend around R35K - what would be my best options.

Currently looking at Giant Anthem 2 OR a Merida 96 800 but welcome to any other suggestions.

Have a good one everybody;-)

Cheers.

Got a couple pals on Scott Sparks. Seem to be great bikes with a couple models in your price range

I have allways been a big fan of the Maestro design, as used by Giant, on the Anthem. The Maestro and Anthem has also remained virtually unchanged for many years, which to me is proof of a very sound concept. The Anthem is well at home on the predominantly marathon orientated SA MTB scene, but wont disappoint on most XCO trails as well. Plus, Giant are the Toyota of the South African bike scene. Not necessarily the pretiest, lightest or fanciest, but good value for money, and a good no nonsense warranty on the frame. Having said that, I was shocked seeing what the Anthem now sells for. Guess we have our politicians and the weak Rand to thank for that.

Hi Gents,

Looking for some good advise on my new purchase of a sort of "do it all" bike.

Good for the flats, climbing and trails. Looking to spend around R35K - what would be my best options.

Currently looking at Giant Anthem 2 OR a Merida 96 800 but welcome to any other suggestions.

Have a good one everybody;-)

Cheers.

Neither of these would be good "all rounders" as they're too race-focussed with their steep head angles, low travel numbers and harsher handling. 

You'd be better off with something like the Scott Spark (new one) 120mm bike, Merida 140, Spazz Camber / Stumpy ST and so on. 

Look in the 120mm plus travel category for something that climbs well, yet wil inspire more confidence on the trails and be happy to take you for day-long outings. 

Neither of these would be good "all rounders" as they're too race-focussed with their steep head angles, low travel numbers and harsher handling. 

You'd be better off with something like the Scott Spark (new one) 120mm bike, Merida 140, Spazz Camber / Stumpy ST and so on. 

Look in the 120mm plus travel category for something that climbs well, yet wil inspire more confidence on the trails and be happy to take you for day-long outings. 

Myles was not going to say it so I will...

>>>

Trance :ph34r:

Watch the guys around you - their faces when you don't brake for the tech sections. :eek:

Seriously -> I enter races with an old 2013 Trance X 29er (wish they would make a new carbon 120mm bike again) and its only marginally quicker due to the 29er wheels than my Trance Advanced 27.5 in similar spec and trim.

An Anthem SX 27.5 is also a great option.

I'd seriously consider this Pyga 110. Decent fork, great dropper. Looks clean.

Unless you were looking for a new bike, that is.

Nope, I’m on one already with 140 revelation upfront, came from a trance 29’er ( see the previous post) which was a great bike, but imho not near the 110, although the Trance was lighter, the 110 seems more efficient uphill and on the straights and I cleared things on my first ride that I never did on the Trance ( only the frame being different as I transferred all components over to the 110), still the Trance 29 never got the kudos it deserved really as part of the Giant culling of all things 29 only to change direction year or so later

I was looking for the same thing. My budget wasn’t as big. After spending some time looking, I went with the Scott spark. To say that I am satisfied is an understatement. Love this bike. I have owned a 2017 anthem but felt that it didn’t as “trail” like as a wanted. The Scott has a slacker head angle which really helps in this regard. 120mm of travel, shorts stem with some wide bars and I am in my element on the spark. That being said, my brother raves about his camber comp, also a great bike.

Good luck ????

Thanks for the help guys!

If one looks at the Scott Spark range where is the sweet spot in terms of the models and pricing?

They do seem a little over priced for the spec though...but the geometry looks good.

Thanks;-)

Archived