Stolen Thule bike rack

Albert T

-- Not a bike, therefore not posted under stolen bike section --

Item stolen: Thule Euroclassic G6 3 bike rack

Date: 12 May

Bike rack was locked on vehicle towbar parked at Thaba trails when stolen: parked at 7:30, cycled at Thaba, returned to vehicle at 11:30 and found bike rack removed. There was no damage to car but locking the rack made no difference. Security did not see anything.

Maybe they've be watching you for a while. Thule locks are coded so it's not impossible to find the perfect key. I think it's one of their biggest flaws. 

Maybe they've be watching you for a while. Thule locks are coded so it's not impossible to find the perfect key. I think it's one of their biggest flaws. 

Indeed

The shops have a box of key and replacement lock cylinders - walk in with the code and they give you the corresponding item.

Build up a collection of Thule keys and you could access most locked up racks and bikes

Not very secure

I think maybe I should grind my numbers off.. with the roof rack the break the covers off and unscrew the bolts.. The people you see on the road without covers are the ones that fund the b@st@rds!

-- Not a bike, therefore not posted under stolen bike section --

Item stolen: Thule Euroclassic G6 3 bike rack

Date: 12 May

Bike rack was locked on vehicle towbar parked at Thaba trails when stolen: parked at 7:30, cycled at Thaba, returned to vehicle at 11:30 and found bike rack removed. There was no damage to car but locking the rack made no difference. Security did not see anything.

and so it begins, not even your bike rack is safe while you're out riding.

Thats terrible news Albert, sorry to hear about it!

Indeed

The shops have a box of key and replacement lock cylinders - walk in with the code and they give you the corresponding item.

Build up a collection of Thule keys and you could access most locked up racks and bikes

Not very secure

Its the same for those lock nuts for wheels at Midas, Autosport, etc. Just buy a bunch of them and you are sorted as a thief.

So they left your towbar behind?
In Wynberg, they unscrewed the goose neck from my towbar plate and made off with the towbar head locked inside of the rack...

I think maybe I should grind my numbers off.. with the roof rack the break the covers off and unscrew the bolts.. The people you see on the road without covers are the ones that fund the b@st@rds!

Great idea, gonna grind mine off today. Thanks!

So they left your towbar behind?

In Wynberg, they unscrewed the goose neck from my towbar plate and made off with the towbar head locked inside of the rack...

Sho, not nice. Thaba has a wide open, very visible parking terrain and my car was closest to the security booth. My guess is the rack was taken by someone dressed as a cyclist, so no one thought anything of it because it was just a cyclist packing up after a ride.

Archived