Bryanston group ride

Jon0

Good day, I'm new to the JHB area and stay near the bryanston virgin active at the main/William nichol crossing....

Are there any group rides that go from the area in the week and weekends either early morning or in the afternoons?

Also any groups who do triathlons in the area as I'd like to venture down that road too.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

Good day, I'm new to the JHB area and stay near the bryanston virgin active at the main/William nichol crossing....

Are there any group rides that go from the area in the week and weekends either early morning or in the afternoons?

Also any groups who do triathlons in the area as I'd like to venture down that road too.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers.

4h50 at the engen just up the road. Normally a fast and slower group.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Engen2engen during the week, weekends cycle clubs in your area are Cycle Lab and Club 100.

Tri clubs are troisports, trifactri, MPG

Engen2engen during the week, weekends cycle clubs in your area are Cycle Lab and Club 100.

Tri clubs are troisports, trifactri, MPG

Thanks Shaper for the information. Also new to JHB, how can I join in the weekday rides? 

Torn between Cycle Lab and Club 100, which club would you recommend? 

Thanks Shaper for the information. Also new to JHB, how can I join in the weekday rides? 

Torn between Cycle Lab and Club 100, which club would you recommend? 

As mentioned, the weekday E2E rides start at the Engine Garage on Main (Cnr &, Main Rd & Bruton Rd, Bryanston, Sandton, 2191) Groups start from about 4h45, main group at 4h50.

You are welcome to join Cycle Lab for some trial rides if you want. Currently rides start @ 7h00 in winter outside the Proshop Fourways with groups that offer different ave speeds.

If you not up to the Engen ride, I do a ride Tues/Thurs from my spot just off Sloane. But its earlier than E2E and only 4 of us so easier to manage but still blood and tears. 50km door to door in 1h50 or so.

We operate most Tues and Thurs but I need a partner as we meet in Morningside and I'm the only one going that way so its all to easy to roll over at 4am..

PM me for more info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any feedback on the group rides?

My feedback from riding Engen2Engen a 3 times now. I’m very much a beginner to cycling only owning a road bike for about 4 weeks now. I’ve been to the ride on the Wednesday and Friday and not really felt uncomfortable. Been dropped be the main group every time feeling my lack of experience has brought me down a bit.

The route is busy with other cyclists so if you lose the main group you will be able to pick up another group.

Best advice is brave the morning cold and give it a try and see it for yourself. I love it so far and look forward to getting up so early to go ride [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are new to the Engen rides I suggest start on a Friday as this is the "recovery" ride.  Wednesday is harder but a flatish route while Tuesday and Thursday are hard.  The routes differ slightly each day and once you get to know them you can usually pick up a slower bunch if you are dropped.  As there are a lot less riders in winter you may finish up on your own.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I am also a few weeks old on my road bike and still struggling with clipping in and out

As suggested by David Marshall, I'll give the Friday ride a try and work my way up.

Getting dropped sucks

• 2 weeks later...

Are there many people that drive to the start and park their cars to do E2E? It's unfortunately no feasible for me to ride alone from home to the start, especially not whilst it is still so dark in the mornings.

Just wondering if there is enough place at the Engen to park, or if anybody parks across at the Post Office centre? Just don't want to miss the start :-)

Are there many people that drive to the start and park their cars to do E2E? It's unfortunately no feasible for me to ride alone from home to the start, especially not whilst it is still so dark in the mornings.

Just wondering if there is enough place at the Engen to park, or if anybody parks across at the Post Office centre? Just don't want to miss the start :-)

There is limited parking at the garage. Another option is to park at the Grosvenor Crossing Shopping Centre and just ride the 200 hundred odd meters to the Engen Garage. There are security guards at Grosvenor as well which is s win.

There is limited parking at the garage. Another option is to park at the Grosvenor Crossing Shopping Centre and just ride the 200 hundred odd meters to the Engen Garage. There are security guards at Grosvenor as well which is s win.

Perfect, thanks for your feedback :-)

Is there anybody situated in the Midrand/Kyalami/Beaulieu or as far as Lonehill area that rides to E2E from home in the mornings? Would make it such a good loop if I could ride from home instead of drive.

Rode E2E this morning for the first time in probably almost 10 years. It was nice to see that the crowd I ended up with was observant of road rules and courteous to other road users (being moaned at for stopping at a light because there was traffic coming was the prevailing reason that I stopped riding with the group years ago). I'm sure there are probably still patches of less courteous riders, but this was a refreshing start :-)