ciclimattio.com

JacBrand

My experience is that the extra 10% is only used for VAT calculations, and is not added to the final price.  So, according to my calculations:

Duties: R2500 * 0.4 = R1000

VAT:     (R2500 + R1000 + R250) * 0.15 = R562.50     (R250 = 10% of R2500)

Total:   R2500 + R1000 + R562.50 = R4062.5

Still not as much of a bargain as it looked to start off with, but may be worthwhile.  You can find a calculator here: https://tradelogistics.co.za/tools/calculators/vat-duty-calculation/

No you are wrong.

Customs VAT on imports is NOT 15% but more like 16.5%.

Look at the ATV value on your SAD500 form. And then look at your VAT calculations again...

So... Right now the Rand isn't wow hence the higher cost

These things are largely dependent on the prevailing exchange rate

In the event the Rand strengthens, you can scoop up some great deals

At the moment its cheaper to look at local specials rather than international websites. But... In a months time it could be different

I love to support local. But sometimes it just doesnt make sense. I bought myself 2 pairs of the Look X Track pedals long before they were even available here. I needed to replace my pedals as my current ones at the time were shot. I wanted the X Track.  Nobody in SA could get them for me. Not even Mr Look.

Ordered from ciclimattio and with shipping etc it worked out considerably cheaper at the time that when they were available here.

Solomons have them on Sale for R3750

quote name="JohanDiv" post="3519737" timestamp="1561449564"]

Revive...

Ramrod, how long did shipping take and who do they use?

I jumped on 2x 2019 Assos Equipe RS S9 bibs for R2500 each from them last week.

Now I'm worried I was too quick on the trigger. No details on shipping and they're not replying on my email from a few days ago.

Customs VAT on imports is NOT 15% but more like 16.5%.

Look at the ATV value on your SAD500 form. And then look at your VAT calculations again...

Hi Naas,

We agree with each other here.  It's either:

• 16.5% of Value or
  • 15% of (Value + 10% of Value),

which is the same thing.  That's where the R250 (= 10% of R2500) in my calculation came from. 

Where our calculations differ is that while the R250 is used for VAT calculations, the R250 is not added into the final total that SARS charges.

I have a SAD500 form here that shows an example, but I can't figure out how to attach the image.

and then if they shipping with DHL/UPS or similar, you still have to pay their documentation fee which is usuall around R350 for clearing the stuff.

That R350 always, without fail, p!sses me off.

That R350 always, without fail, p!sses me off.

thats the industry norm...

we now charge our clients upwards of R550 for these documents for seafreight. same process basically.

Hi Naas,

We agree with each other here.  It's either:

• 16.5% of Value or
  • 15% of (Value + 10% of Value),

which is the same thing.  That's where the R250 (= 10% of R2500) in my calculation came from. 

Where our calculations differ is that while the R250 is used for VAT calculations, the R250 is not added into the final total that SARS charges.

I have a SAD500 form here that shows an example, but I can't figure out how to attach the image.

Yes Point taken.

The calculation is as follows:

[(Customs Value + 10% thereof) + (any non-rebated duties levied on the goods)] x 15%
= [ATV] x 15%
= VAT payable

Bottomline is that ATV value on a purchase of R2500 is substantially more than customs value(online purchase price displayed)

So quite a few hidden costs and then clearing fees has to be added as well.

Good news for those looking for RS9 bibs - they are now on special until end of July or until stock run out for R3995 from us...

Oefff.. I was working on the 40% extra and happy to pay R3500 a pair, but didn't take into account that extra 10%. Ah well, learn something new everyday.

Lesson learned here.. just received my package. I'll be supporting local from now on! Ended up paying 71% of purchase price on VAT, Taxes, DHL docs etc. R2500 became R4275. 

• 1 year later...

Do they use the same calculation for parts or components? Thinking of ordering a new cassette which I can't source in SA from this site....

There is no duty on components so you just pay vat. And then the clearing fee through DHL etc. It is still worth ordering components from overseas but you can't get shimano or Sram...