Wider road tires

platvis

Yep, I've also got 25mm tyres on American Classic Argents, which come out to just under 28mm. Super plush ride.

Running the same combo (Conti GP4000 II on a 2013 Giant TCR).

Frame clearance is fine, but it's the brake arches that have a very small gap!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys

Does changing to say 28mm road tires from 23mm make much of a comfort difference?

Cheers, PV

As Cippo states higher up its not just a case of slapping a wider tyre onto any rim, you will change the ride characteristics dramatically by having a mismatched rim to tyre size (including a higher possibility of the tyre blowing off the rim) so unless tyres blowing off your wheels while decending at break neck speed is your thing, rather check out the extra info here to make sure your rims and tyres are compatible for the ride you are looking for.

http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/the-right-tyre-width-on-the-right-rim-width/

for info on better rolling and pucture resistance check out GCN's video on tubless setup:

As a side note on my recent vist to Annecy for the distributor meeting it was interesting to note that all the Yellow neutral service bikes (the ones that Chris Froome doesnt fit on!) are all running 28c

Went from 23 to 25 when I got my new roadbike. Huge diffs.  Don't hesitate to go to wider tyres.

I'm considering buying a new bike that could fit 28s after switching to 25s 2 years ago. Current bike is barely handling the current setup.

I changed from 23 to 25 a year ago and would never change back. With Conti GP 4000S ii the ride is just superb.

Worlds apart. And it rolls faster. There is no downside at all.

I am trying to understanding this roadie thing. If 25m is so much better, why did they invent 23mm tyres. Is like 26" mtb wheels?

I am trying to understanding this roadie thing. If 25m is so much better, why did they invent 23mm tyres. Is like 26" mtb wheels?

It’s called progression. Very few things are “invented” perfectly.

Hi Guys

Does changing to say 28mm road tires from 23mm make much of a comfort difference?

Cheers, PV

If you can get them in your frame then go for it!

I changed from 23 to 25 and it’s makes a big difference. I wanted to go 28s but my frame won’t allow. So I ended up going 25 tubless, running at 5bar.

But the tubless conversation is whole new can of worms.

The silly frame that cant take 28c tires. Throw it in the Thames when your there again.

If you can get them in your frame then go for it!

I changed from 23 to 25 and it’s makes a big difference. I wanted to go 28s but my frame won’t allow. So I ended up going 25 tubless, running at 5bar.

But the tubless conversation is whole new can of worms.

so... its a no brainer to go from 25 to 28 if your frame can handle it...  why isn't anybody on 30's or 32's then?  where is the sweetspot?

so... its a no brainer to go from 25 to 28 if your frame can handle it... why isn't anybody on 30's or 32's then? where is the sweetspot?

Seems like 28c is the sweet spot, but as with all things the rims/tyres/brakes will change, and so will the sweet spot.

Personally if I were to buy a new road bike I'd be on 32s. But that would be for comfort, not speed.

Rims were narrower, tyres narrower, the thinking was that the narrower the tyre and higher the pressure, the faster you go. The evolution of tech has proven this idea wrong.

Another limiting factor was rim brakes, with disc brakes becoming more popular the limits on tyre width is gone.

Seems like 28c is the sweet spot, but as with all things the rims/tyres/brakes will change, and so will the sweet spot.

Personally if I were to buy a new road bike I'd be on 32s. But that would be for comfort, not speed.

All of this +1000

so... its a no brainer to go from 25 to 28 if your frame can handle it... why isn't anybody on 30's or 32's then? where is the sweetspot?

For road “racing” in us amateurs league, 28s seem to be the sweet spot. Because that’s where the aero/comfort/grip levels seem to intersect. If you run 25 tubless, you can have the same levels of grip as that on a 28c with tubes, because of the pressure.

To answer your question, I have run 32c with tubes on my BMC “training” bike and then changed it to run 40c on the same bike, and it’s amazing from a comfort and training point of view, BUT it’s definately slower for road racing.

25c or 28c is where you want to be.

I am buying a new road bike, I have an amazing bike but.... the two biggest reasons for the change is, disc brakes and 28-32 road tyres.

Archived