OEM vs after market MTB wheels

Dexter-morgan

A question to all that have done an upgrade how much of a difference do you get between After Marker (wider rim wheels) vs STOCK wheels that came with my Scott Genius(Syncross X23) - Thanks for the advice.

I am thinking of getting wheels from Rapide.

I can't give you scientific evidence, even though there probably is a lot out there, but having moved from 17id wheels to 24.5id wheels, it's a total game changer... Stability, bravery, cornering speeds, and confidence have shot up... Loose surface riding and rocky climbs are so much easier because you're not having tyre bulge or side load deformation so the contact patch is perfect... If you have the cash, do it.

Replaced the alu Stans Rapid 25 on my Scalpel with 30mm carbon, noticeable difference yes. 

changed from arch 19mm width to race face  27mm - world of difference, increase in grip, can run lower pressure so you get a smoother ride as well

Cumfort is 1 of my most important things on a bike for me the more cumfortable you are the faster and further you will go and with wider rims you have more tyre volume and can run lower pressure which increases grip and cumfort. But that said going 2-4mm wider might not be noticeable but 6mm and up should definitely feel a differnce.

If you are looking at buying a wheelset you should also consider the quality of the hubs you are changing to.

A wider rim will definitely be beneficial in many ways, as mentioned by others, but be careful of downgrading on hubs.

Do you know what hubs your stock wheelset have. If I'm not mistaken the X23 rim are usually found on the mid level Scott bicycles witch will be laced to Shimano hubs. The Rapidé hubs AFAIK are a copy of one of the DT Swiss models that run on sealed bearings so should be a smoother, faster running unit.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If you are looking at buying a wheelset you should also consider the quality of the hubs you are changing to.

A wider rim will definitely be beneficial in many ways, as mentioned by others, but be careful of downgrading on hubs.

Do you know what hubs your stock wheelset have. If I'm not mistaken the X23 rim are usually found on the mid level Scott bicycles witch will be laced to Shimano hubs. The Rapidé hubs AFAIK are a copy of one of the DT Swiss models that run on sealed bearings so should be a smoother, faster running unit.

The best thing about sealed bearing hubs is that even if the bearings completely seize, this won't damage the hub shell.

Shimano hubs with cup and cone bearings can terminally damage the hub shell unless they're meticulously maintained.

More on that here: http://www.wheelbuilder.co.za/hubs/

Indeed, but a seized up bearing can however cause damage to the hub shaft.

Fortunately, as you'd know, you'll feel the bearings getting rough way before that point in the form of vabration through the frame wich makes knowing when to service them much easier, whereas the cup and cone system on Shimano hubs tend to have a rough feel even when serviced and properly greased.

In conclusion sealed bearings FTW![emoji106]

The best thing about sealed bearing hubs is that even if the bearings completely seize, this won't damage the hub shell.

Shimano hubs with cup and cone bearings can terminally damage the hub shell unless they're meticulously maintained.

More on that here: http://www.wheelbuilder.co.za/hubs/

Archived