Need Advice On What To Buy

Myprod

Morning Ladies / Gents

I need some guidance from your wisdom vault.

I want to get into mountain biking as I have become extremely unfit and really need to do some sort of exercise. I come from a Motox background and have some knee issues etc from back then.

I stay very close to Meerendal and obviously the trails around it. 

So, I have looked at a Levo or a Kenevo ( but no stock of 2019s ) but it seems there is a bit of a stigma behind the whole E-Bike thing.

Anyways, I am looking for a trail bike and something that can go downhill without to much of a problem. I have also looked at a Merida one-sixty 800. 

I am 31 Years of age and weigh around 75kg's. Frame would be a medium. 

The reason I ask is obviously an E-bike is double the price and come with a certain stigma attached it seems from browsing the forums. I dont want to race, I want to get out and have some fun while improving my fitness. 

Should I stick to a regular pedal bike or would the pedal assist be the way to go to get into the hobby?

I have asked myself this same question now for over a month and just cant pull the trigger so hoping some valid input would help me decide.

Thanks so much!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would that be the 1x12? A dealer mentioned fitting something like that to make life a little easier yes. My main purpose is to go out and have fun whilst getting fit at the same time. Does the 1x12 make that much of a difference? 

You are light and young! You will get fit quicker than you think so save the ebike for later in life. Use the saving on your contact points. (saddle, shorts and shoes)

Thats where my mind is wandering towards yes.

Any Recommendations on bikes. I have no idea whats good and whats bad? 

Thats where my mind is going to yes.

Any Recommendations on bikes. I have no idea whats good and whats bad? 

What is your budget? You have a MX background and you are in the Cape so you will benefit from having more bike than is generally suggested. If you were looking at ebikes i'm assuming you have a decent budget. Go to your local specialized shop and ask for a camber for the weekend. This is a great starting point! Don't even try the ebike because it will feel like you in 2 years and you will be sold. 

The problem is... I tested a Levo for a weekend already and was instantly sold haha. But the more I think about it the more I worry ill just get judged haha.

Budget for an Ebike was around R 80k, then I found a Levo expert for 90k. However, I wouldn't spend 90k on a normal bike, I think id stick to R 40k and under. 

The problem is... I tested a Levo for a weekend already and was instantly sold haha. But the more I think about it the more I worry ill just get judged haha.

Budget for an Ebike was around R 80k, then I found a Levo expert for 90k. However, I wouldn't spend 90k on a normal bike, I think id stick to R 40k and under. 

Being judged should be he least of your concerns! If it's purely for fun then go for it. The problem is when you want to do an event... and you also said that you want to do this for exercise! 

Fair Enough. I think you still get decent exercise with an E-Bike. Alternative would be, buy the E-Bike, get fit, buy a pedal bike, let the GF use the E-Bike to get out in the mountains too. That is the other option.

Don`t get an ebike before you are at least 60 or have a job as a pro race cam ebike rider, all else get a normal proper mtb with no engine.

Ride whatever you like, and try not to worry about what others think, though you may feel a bit of scorn if you're riding an ebike wearing a skinsuit.  :eek:

With all do respect E bikes for timers to inprove fitness padeling is how it work. Bt again it's your money do as you plse.

Why not drive to Paarl and come visit us, we have the Trek Fuel Ex 8  which is a great Trail/All round MTB, which would be perfect for someone coming from a Moto X back ground thus needing some more suspension travel than the average rider. The Fuel Ex is the perfect bike to shred the trails whilst still being able to enjoy your overall experience

People riding proper non-ebike mtbs will judge you negatively especially if you are young and capable of pedaling a proper mtb  :ph34r: . You will be sorry you got the ebike  :ph34r:

If you can get your hands on a Kenevo, DO IT. There is nop stigma attached to e-bikes apart from those who use them in races, or wish that they could string 3 to 4 laps in in the same time it takes the normal Joe to do one and then be blown. 

That Merida 160 is a bloody good machine. If you're going for a "normal" bike, that'd be first on my list. 

Archived