Alpe d'Huez

Bonus

Anyone on here ridden up the mountain?

I did it quite a few years ago in 1hr 17min. It was pretty much the first time I'd ridden up anything quite like it and it was shocking to say the least.

Nowadays I'm a bit more used to mountains but not sure I'd match my PB

Did it last year as part of the Haute Route. 1:09 according to Strava. I was a complete mess at that stage in the midst of 2 weeks, 1800km and 40 000m of climbing.

It was good but I enjoyed some of the other 'wilder' mountains more.

Did it last year as part of the Haute Route. 1:09 according to Strava. I was a complete mess at that stage in the midst of 2 weeks, 1800km and 40 000m of climbing.

It was good but I enjoyed some of the other 'wilder' mountains more.

I've gone up twice already.

Once in the height of summer in a Peugot 406. 

Once in the deepest of winter did specific training for that oen cos fitting snow chains is your duty as the co pilot and no joke in the dark.

A looong time ago before Garmin was actually a thing. I'm reasonably sure I had a "Cateye" on but no records anywhere :-)

We rode to the top then rolled halfway down to watch the peleton rush by. We did the switch back "watch them at the bottom then sprint up the switch back and watch them again" euro thing!

I've ridden all 3 of the HC climbs today. I missed Montevernier which is really sad. Ah well - I'll have to go back!

Did it in 2010 and again twice in 2013, fastest time 1:04. The last time was at the end of the La Marmotte (170km with 5000m climbing) after doing the Glandon and Galibier in 30+ degrees, it took me 2 hours. :-( Other climbs like Madeleine and Galibier were more challenging but Alp D'Huez remains the icon. I was lucky enough to have done all the climbs in today's stage.

Edited by Trackside

Did it in 2010 and again twice in 2013, fastest time 1:04. The last time was at the end of the La Marmotte (170km with 5000m climbing) after doing the Glandon and Galibier in 30+ degrees, it took me 2 hours. :-( Other climbs like Madeleine and Galibier were more challenging but Alp D'Huez remains the icon. I was lucky enough to have done all the climbs in today's stage.

Compared to something like the Galibier, Alpe d'Huez is like riding "a manicured trail" in a trail centre. Retaining walls, good surface, loads of signs and you pass through a village half way up. The Galibier is WILD, open to the elements, windy, rougher roads - a beast of a climb.

Compared to something like the Galibier, Alpe d'Huez is like riding "a manicured trail" in a trail centre. Retaining walls, good surface, loads of signs and you pass through a village half way up. The Galibier is WILD, open to the elements, windy, rougher roads - a beast of a climb.

Yes I agree, Galibier is a beast, my biggest climb on Strava was recorded there as 2157m (in 50km!!!), and the roads towards the top are treacherous and the descents really fast and scary with no protection. 

post-19788-0-59856200-1531986331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trackside

have done it twice.

once riding La Marmotte - i want to do this race again. amazing feeling 

well done to you sir!