Achilles in pain after long ride

Good morning Hubland,

Does anyone else suffer from an inflamed Achilles tendon after a ride? This is now the second time on long rides that this happens. In my case, it's specifically the right one. 

Any suggestions?

I have had a bike fit done, but in 2016.

I would suggest do your own bit of rehab on it if you don't want to go to a physio....

Apply heat and ice interchangeably - you want to increase blood flow to the inflamed area. Apply some topical pain ointment as well (I assume it hurts into the heal - massage/rub the area) and anti-inflamatory meds if needed.

Stretch as much as possible - when you come across a step, take a moment to stretch your calves on both legs. Put the ball of your foot on the step and let your heel drop as far down as possible and hold it for at least 30sec. At least 3 times per leg at a time. Stretch before and after a ride

Also stretch the front ligaments of your ankles - they all work together.

Check the alignment of your cleats vs peddles.

Usually an inflamed achilles is an over-use injury. Rest if needed.

And do not suddenly jump up to or down from any height/step. You don't want to snap/tear anything due to it being inflamed.

Disclaimer... I am not a doctor.... did some rehab on myself before with various injuries after numerous visit to the physio

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My cure was a golf ball - on the floor and rolling it up and down with the bare foot with as much pressure as my tender foot would allow.

Oops - now is a time to be careful if you are in your later 30s to early 50s - avoid sudden stress on it - snapping it is not a good idea.

Generally rest, ice and some physio should help get it under control.

The other thing I have found personally useful is to use the pool pump outlet for some massage for 10min a day or so.

Good morning Hubland,

Does anyone else suffer from an inflamed Achilles tendon after a ride? This is now the second time on long rides that this happens. In my case, it's specifically the right one. 

Any suggestions?

Might be barking up a completely wrong tree, but what is your cholesterol levels? Speaking from personal experience, Achilles tendinitis can be caused by elevated cholesterol levels, especially the familial (inherited) type.

Oops - now is a time to be careful if you are in your later 30s to early 50s - avoid sudden stress on it - snapping it is not a good idea.

Generally rest, ice and some physio should help get it under control.

The other thing I have found personally useful is to use the pool pump outlet for some massage for 10min a day or so.

Late 20s for me. 

Yip, perhaps rest or easy going.

Might be barking up a completely wrong tree, but what is your cholesterol levels? Speaking from personal experience, Achilles tendinitis can be caused by elevated cholesterol levels, especially the familial (inherited) type.

After last Discovery wellness check done in June 2018, total cholesterol is 3.75mmol/L, below the threshold of 5. 

My dad suffers from high cholesterol, he's on chronic medication for it. But thanks for that, I'll do some reading up on it.

My achilles issue was too high saddle after bikefit..

What is a long ride, 6hrs?

Between 4-6 atm. With a few Z5-7 efforts in-between. 

Late 20s for me. 

Yip, perhaps rest or easy going.

You havn't been prescribed antibiotics lately?

Reason I ask is there is a class of antibiotics called Fluoroquinolones which are associated with tendon issues and increased risk of damage.

You havn't been prescribed antibiotics lately?

Reason I ask is there is a class of antibiotics called Fluoroquinolones which are associated with tendon issues and increased risk of damage.

A common problem in runners (and presumably cyclists) is achilles tendinopathy.  This is usually related to overuse and is not an inflammatory problem but more a dysfunctional repair response to recurrent use.

Needs a competent physiotherapy assessment and diagnosis.  Rehabilitation and strengthening exercises incorporating eccentric loading of achilles are usually helpful and revolutionised my running

My dad suffers from high cholesterol, he's on chronic medication for it. But thanks for that, I'll do some reading up on it.

If your dad is over 60 his life expectancy is increased with high cholesterol.  Do the reading and then advise him to stop the satins.

A common problem in runners (and presumably cyclists) is achilles tendinopathy.  This is usually related to overuse and is not an inflammatory problem but more a dysfunctional repair response to recurrent use.

Needs a competent physiotherapy assessment and diagnosis.  Rehabilitation and strengthening exercises incorporating eccentric loading of achilles are usually helpful and revolutionised my running

1 - not as common in cyclists as in runners - not even close.

2 - Diagnosis is NOT within the scope of practice of a physiotherapist....  this is not too say that physiotherapists are not experienced in the field of rehabilitative therapy - but... https://www.saphysio.co.za/media/178210/hpcsa-scope-of-physiotherapy.pdf

As a physiotherapist I assess and diagnose daily within our scope of practice as physiotherapists. Diagnosis is within our scope as first line practioners

https://saphysio.co.za/media/83634/policy-first-line-practitioner-status-april-2016.pdf

1 - not as common in cyclists as in runners - not even close.

2 - Diagnosis is NOT within the scope of practice of a physiotherapist....  this is not too say that physiotherapists are not experienced in the field of rehabilitative therapy - but... https://www.saphysio.co.za/media/178210/hpcsa-scope-of-physiotherapy.pdf

Good morning Hubland,

Any suggestions?

Most likely too high a saddle. Could be as little as 3mm. Try drop it 5mm to start once you've recovered properly. 

Could also be cleats that are too far forward on shoe, enlisting calves more. Try move cleat slightly back on shoe for less calf use. This combined with a slightly lower saddle should help.

Bear in mind that most bike fits aren't perfect and things change in two years. 

Good luck.

Most likely too high a saddle. Could be as little as 3mm. Try drop it 5mm to start once you've recovered properly. 

Could also be cleats that are too far forward on shoe, enlisting calves more. Try move cleat slightly back on shoe for less calf use. This combined with a slightly lower saddle should help.

Bear in mind that most bike fits aren't perfect and things change in two years. 

Good luck.

What he said! :thumbup:

Archived