Cape Town commute

trasver

So getting an entry to the 2018 DC plus moving further up the West Coast means that I now need to stop procrastinating about cycling to work and start doing it (at least a few days a week!)

The two things that were stopping me were

1) Cycling through paardeneiland - I know I can make a plan about an alternative route - shouldn't be an excuse (alternate route suggestions welcome though!)

2) Shower access - this is actually my biggest deterrent.  I know people say baby wipes/shower from a bottle etc but that just isn't an option for me - I need to shower!  My office is right at the bottom of Bree Street (opposite the FNB building).  We don't have a shower in the office but I know that the FNB building has bike park/showers but I presume this is just for tenants - can anyone confirm that this is the case (or who/how to contact to confirm?).  Any other suggestions for options around that area.

Another option is Virgin Active Foreshore which is a few blocks away and is a possibility - however I'd prefer to shower close to the office rather than need to hop the bike  again in my work clothes to cycle to the office.

Any suggestions from seasoned commuters welcome!

Thanks

So getting an entry to the 2018 DC plus moving further up the West Coast means that I now need to stop procrastinating about cycling to work and start doing it (at least a few days a week!)

The two things that were stopping me were

1) Cycling through paardeneiland - I know I can make a plan about an alternative route - shouldn't be an excuse (alternate route suggestions welcome though!)

2) Shower access - this is actually my biggest deterrent.  I know people say baby wipes/shower from a bottle etc but that just isn't an option for me - I need to shower!  My office is right at the bottom of Bree Street (opposite the FNB building).  We don't have a shower in the office but I know that the FNB building has bike park/showers but I presume this is just for tenants - can anyone confirm that this is the case (or who/how to contact to confirm?).  Any other suggestions for options around that area.

Another option is Virgin Active Foreshore which is a few blocks away and is a possibility - however I'd prefer to shower close to the office rather than need to hop the bike  again in my work clothes to cycle to the office.

Any suggestions from seasoned commuters welcome!

Thanks

Take marine drive and then the n1 - its no longer a highway then.

Shower at Point VA - From there there is a constructed bike lane to bottom of Bree. (Its almost down hill.)

Also keen to start commuting but I will be coming from town out to Paarden Eiland in the morning and back in the evenings. 

Going to see if I can cycle in the myciti bus lane both ways?

Take marine drive and then the n1 - its no longer a highway then.

Shower at Point VA - From there there is a constructed bike lane to bottom of Bree. (Its almost down hill.)

very good idea this... very poor idea if it's raining though

Also keen to start commuting but I will be coming from town out to Paarden Eiland in the morning and back in the evenings. 

Going to see if I can cycle in the myciti bus lane both ways?

you can always hop on a bus with your bike to get through the dodgy part. But to Paarden Eiland, that's most of the way... heheh e :w00t:

1. we commute daily from Table View (leave at the VET opposite Bayside) at 6:45am

2. leave town again at 5:15pm from the Train Lodge at the start of the cycle lane.

Pull In Tchjina .... and avoid riding solo through the dodgy section of the cycle lane running parallel with the train lines.

3. we do coffee in the mornings before work too

Thanks for all this.

@hairy - the Bike bus sounds awesome, unfortunately it’s too late for me but I’ll definitely try join on mornings when I’m heading in later.

Good call re point gym - a downhill freewheel never killed anyone.

I’ve also found contact details for someone in the FNB building so will update here if I hear back.

I really ought to have no excuses really.

Live in Milnerton and work in Paarden Eiland

My only excuse not to commute on my bike is because I go to gym after work and getting to Century City V.A is a bit of an issue from work on a bike.

I'd be keen to try do a Friday morning thing with the group and see how it goes from there

Commuting to work is more a mental thing than anything else.  If you really want to commute you will be able to find a way to make it work.  If your not so into it you will find a reason why you can't do it.  I have been commuting for pretty much 17 years now.  I remember in the beginning if there was a hint of chance on rain I would take the car to work.  Now I actually enjoy cycling in the rain.  Still got to get myself to commute in the snow and -10 degrees temps.  Slowly getting there.

Thanks for all this.

@hairy - the Bike bus sounds awesome, unfortunately it’s too late for me but I’ll definitely try join on mornings when I’m heading in later.

Good call re point gym - a downhill freewheel never killed anyone.

I’ve also found contact details for someone in the FNB building so will update here if I hear back.

If you are currently not a gym member at all, my I also suggest the Zone Fitness ... they are in the Cape Quarter and then also on St Georges mall....basic / average gym at a killer price.

Archived