Road World Champs 2018 Austria

Shebeen

If i'm grown up one day, then it would be nice to have the bottom grips of my bib pull gaps between mussel definitions like Woods 

He is doing remarkably well and his breakthrough win at Vuelta has given him a lot of 'gees'.

Climbing while standing suits him as a former runner and the gradient was thus suitable for him to animate the race.

And he seems like a cool cat.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really thought Woods were gonna drop them all like cupcakes here

Kramon_UCIRoadWorlds18_EliteMenRR_7170-1

Amper.. that was brutal.. .

When Moscon was dropped and I saw Valverde was still there it was the point when I knew Valverde would win it...can't take a finisher like that with race smarts like he has to the line.

So many talking points from the race

1.. GB once again showed that one day races without race radio is not their thing...but I thoroughly enjoyed Kennaugh ..

2.. Columbia's failings in no way a surprise..much like team GB.

3. Spain did everything right...and all their eggs in the AV basket and it worked.

4 GVA with an audacious move..with all the wrong peole on his wheel.. but hey he had to try.

5.. Valgren with the right move at the right time..just a pity about that Holl of a climb.. what a move it was.

6.. Woodsy is a man that will light up races for many years.

7. Man and then Alaphillipe.. he will probably be the most disappointed rider.. had it all ..course to suit him, strong riders committed to him and then it all went up in flames. Had there be an indication earlier that he was not going to be able to contest it..thing may just have worked out different for Bardet...(ifs and buts)

The problem with Valverde is that he sticks out like a dirty thumb in cycling.

Words like EPO, Operation Puerto, Fuentes, Omerta etc are directly linked to Valverde - he is a leftover blight in cycling that should have been cleansed years ago.

He never admitted, never gave up his sources, never apologised, never "made up" for his actions. It was just business as usual.

Froome, Impey, Wiggins and the modern day "grey area" cyclists pale in comparison to the junk Valverde and his generation got up to.

There is no doubt the man is an amazing cyclist and impressive sportsman - the problem is that he is smothered in a haze of unanswered questions and suspicion.

In a time where cycling is supposed to be renewing and hope is in the horison Valverde pulls us back into a murky past we thought we had dispensed with.

5.. Valgren with the right move at the right time..just a pity about that Holl of a climb.. what a move it was.

I just about screamed myself hoarse when Valgren went but 71kg was too much meat to drag up the Holl!

So many talking points from the race

1.. GB once again showed that one day races without race radio is not their thing...but I thoroughly enjoyed Kennaugh ..

2.. Columbia's failings in no way a surprise..much like team GB.

3. Spain did everything right...and all their eggs in the AV basket and it worked.

4 GVA with an audacious move..with all the wrong peole on his wheel.. but hey he had to try.

6.. Woodsy is a man that will light up races for many years.

7. Man and then Alaphillipe.. he will probably be the most disappointed rider.. had it all ..course to suit him, strong riders committed to him and then it all went up in flames. Had there be an indication earlier that he was not going to be able to contest it..thing may just have worked out different for Bardet...(ifs and buts)

On Woods: Wouldn't it be fairer to say he will be making races sticky seeing he happens to be from Maple Syrup country???

Just asking for a friend.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I just about screamed myself hoarse when Valgren went but 71kg was too much meat to drag up the Holl!

He tweeted about cramping which faded his effort up the wall.

He looked good for quite a while and would've descended like a lead balloon.

The problem with Valverde is that he sticks out like a dirty thumb in cycling.

Words like EPO, Operation Puerto, Fuentes, Omerta etc are directly linked to Valverde - he is a leftover blight in cycling that should have been cleansed years ago.

He never admitted, never gave up his sources, never apologised, never "made up" for his actions. It was just business as usual.

Froome, Impey, Wiggins and the modern day "grey area" cyclists pale in comparison to the junk Valverde and his generation got up to.

There is no doubt the man is an amazing cyclist and impressive sportsman - the problem is that he is smothered in a haze of unanswered questions and suspicion.

In a time where cycling is supposed to be renewing and hope is in the horison Valverde pulls us back into a murky past we thought we had dispensed with.

How do you know?

I firmly believe that doping is just as rife, but it is just WAY more sophisticated.

How can you say with certainty that he is a big dirty beast and they are all clean infants floating in a pool of Johnson baby oil?

I'm pretty sure in 10 years time someone will blow the whistle on how this peleton was doping, someone will figure out how to test for it and a handful of frozen blood samples will be thawed out and there will be egg all over cyclings face again.

Call me a cynic, but pffft.... 

Technology has evolved exponentially in the last 15 years. I'm sure some guys are main lining stem cells farmed from Ethiopian children cloned from the spliced DNA of Haile Gabrselassi and lizards....

How do you know?

I firmly believe that doping is just as rife, but it is just WAY more sophisticated.

How can you say with certainty that he is a big dirty beast and they are all clean infants floating in a pool of Johnson baby oil?

I'm pretty sure in 10 years time someone will blow the whistle on how this peleton was doping, someone will figure out how to test for it and a handful of frozen blood samples will be thawed out and there will be egg all over cyclings face again.

Call me a cynic, but pffft.... 

Technology has evolved exponentially in the last 15 years. I'm sure some guys are main lining stem cells farmed from Ethiopian children cloned from the spliced DNA of Haile Gabrselassi and lizards....

I don't but my own take on doping is that they MAY all do it but Valverde HAS been bust doing with bags of his plasma floating in Fuente's blood bank.

IF and WHEN the current crop get done I will change my view to reflect the facts but I refuse to condemn the entire peleton based on factless "they all do it" style rhetoric.

A decade ago we were talking blood bags taped to walls, paper bags for apex riders containing EPO/Testosterone/HGH and a peleton wide Omerta - now we're talking asthma medication that may or may not improve performance. I think that is a step in the right direction.

Tummy D suffered eina cramp on the day

He said that he knew early on in the TT that it was not gonna be his day

Yet, a silver.

What a bike rider.

2018-worlds-mens-ITT-14-1280x854.jpg

This young man is turning PRO next year and was born in 2000

What a phenom

2018-worlds-junior-mens-RR-8-1280x854.jp

More pics on Cycling Tips

Tummy D suffered eina cramp on the day

He said that he knew early on in the TT that it was not gonna be his day

Yet, a silver.

What a bike rider.

2018-worlds-mens-ITT-14-1280x854.jpg

I hope he rides Lombardia

Think his is going to have a brilliant 2019.

I don't but my own take on doping is that they MAY all do it but Valverde HAS been bust doing with bags of his plasma floating in Fuente's blood bank.

IF and WHEN the current crop get done I will change my view to reflect the facts but I refuse to condemn the entire peleton based on factless "they all do it" style rhetoric.

A decade ago we were talking blood bags taped to walls, paper bags for apex riders containing EPO/Testosterone/HGH and a peleton wide Omerta - now we're talking asthma medication that may or may not improve performance. I think that is a step in the right direction.

Yeah, I hear you. I would love to believe that the pro peleton was clean but I don't. I'm not offended by it though.

Those days were rough and horrible. These days it's all science and big clean laboratories which immediately makes the scene way less sinister.  

I do also think the asthma medication is a magicians left hand. 'Look at this white gloved jazz hand' while the other one fools you.....

I'm just cynical and have very little faith in the human race when it's a matter of winning and being 'the best'.

I hope he rides Lombardia

Think his is going to have a brilliant 2019.

Agreed... He has come on super fast since being a TT rider who could sort of climb sometimes!

Yeah, I hear you. I would love to believe that the pro peleton was clean but I don't. I'm not offended by it though.

Those days were rough and horrible. These days it's all science and big clean laboratories which immediately makes the scene way less sinister.  

I do also think the asthma medication is a magicians left hand. 'Look at this white gloved jazz hand' while the other one fools you.....

I'm just cynical and have very little faith in the human race when it's a matter of winning and being 'the best'.

We all have to come up with a way of watching pro cycling that allows it to be pleasant for us.

My semi ignorant "innocent until proven guilty" approach works for me - your "they're all guilty so it's mostly an equal race" approach works for you.

There is no right answer as long as we enjoy it!

Valverde made my mouth taste bitter as all hell but I'll happily keep watching. No system is perfect :-)

Archived