To Flow or Not To Flow

AlanD

Hi Yall,

Want to upgrade my wheelset for something a little beefier. 

Currently have the Giant PTRX-1 wheels that have an internal diameter of 21mm and the shoes they wearing are Magic Mary 2.35 front and currently Rock Razor 2.35 but changing the RR to my Maxiss High Roller 2.35 for the winter.

Im thinking of the Stans Flow S1 as they have a slightly wider internal diameter. 29mm and a seem reasonably priced. Don't need any wider as think my tyres will be too small for too wide rims.

Will this be a worthy upgrade? Make much difference? Match my current tyres?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-flow-s1-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod163035

Thanks

I can't speak on behalf of Stan's. but I have the stock 29mm inner width diameter Roval's wearing the Spez Purgatory 2.35mm tyres, and this combo works well on technical terrain as well as on an all day slog-fest on district roads, for what it's worth.

If you're thinking of buying off CRC do some research first, import duties and the new skynet courier issues. For that cash I would rather go local rapide do some really awesome wheelsets proper quality using brass nipples... and you can't beat their customer service either

If you're thinking of buying off CRC do some research first, import duties and the new skynet courier issues. For that cash I would rather go local rapide do some really awesome wheelsets proper quality using brass nipples... and you can't beat their customer service either

Only used CRC as a link, also, living in the UK, they are local to me :-). Will be buying elsewhere which are cheaper than CRC.

Are you UK based or SA and what bike is it going on? 

CWC has Flows on Hopes on special as well. https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/ztr-29r-flow-mk3hope-pro-4-wheelset. 

I've just got Flows and to be honest I'm a bit 'meh' on them. Came off Spanks that were excellent and should have held out for some of the new wide ones. I think if I were to get some new hoops I'd take a good look at Hunt wheels. They very good, are UK based and have importers here in SA. 

Will be buying elsewhere which are cheaper than CRC.

Ohhh.. where? Always good to know bargains. 

Only used CRC as a link, also, living in the UK, they are local to me :-). Will be buying elsewhere which are cheaper than CRC.

Much rather go with spank then... save up and have no regrets

Are you UK based or SA and what bike is it going on?

CWC has Flows on Hopes on special as well. https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/ztr-29r-flow-mk3hope-pro-4-wheelset.

I've just got Flows and to be honest I'm a bit 'meh' on them. Came off Spanks that were excellent and should have held out for some of the new wide ones. I think if I were to get some new hoops I'd take a good look at Hunt wheels. They very good, are UK based and have importers here in SA.

Uk based. Wheels will be going on a Trance Advanced 27.5, no hurry really and the Stand just seemed the middle ground in terms of price.

Uk based. Wheels will be going on a Trance Advanced 27.5, no hurry really and the Stand just seemed the middle ground in terms of price.

They will be a ton better than the Giants and there is nothing wrong with them at all. A lot f people love them but for me I preferred my Spanks. 

Archived