Garmin 520

AntonG

im interested in your 520 then  :ph34r:

the usb charging pin on my 520 seems to be shot, navworld sent it away almost a week ago and still awaiting feedback. They did mentioned tho the unit just over 2 years old is outv warranty. A replacement will cost be over R2k 

Anyone that can fix that charging pin perhaps   :whistling: 

I had the same problem with my 520 usb charger pin last week. I took it to Garmin head office and they told me it cant be repaired, I need to pay R1800 for a replacement unit. My unit was 1,7 years old. My friend who does phone repairs told me that he can replace the charger port but unfortunately he cant source the Garmin charger port. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem with my 520 usb charger pin last week. I took it to Garmin head office and they told me it cant be repaired, I need to pay R1800 for a replacement unit. My unit was 1,7 years old. My friend who does phone repairs told me that he can replace the charger port but unfortunately he cant source the Garmin charger port. 

My theory (based on the relatively simple issues on my previous units) is that they simply don't do repairs - you send it in to Garmin HQ to confirm that it's broken and then they replace the unit

My 520 has got a cracked screen and the backlight is dead. I need one for spares if any of you want to get rid of your useless 520.;)

im interested in your 520 then :ph34r:

the usb charging pin on my 520 seems to be shot, navworld sent it away almost a week ago and still awaiting feedback. They did mentioned tho the unit just over 2 years old is outv warranty. A replacement will cost be over R2k

Anyone that can fix that charging pin perhaps :whistling:

Let's hear what they come back with, then I'll get the 130 and the 520 is youra

Meezo, no where am I saying Garmin is a bad product, in actual fact I have enjoyed their product immensely too. Garmin service, have also delivered in the past on two HR straps that were faulty of mine and replaced free of charge. I was by no means expecting a free replacement but maybe I was hoping there was going to be another "DIY tech adjustment" I could apply which I somehow knew there wasn't going to be one as my 520 was up to date with software and all the suggested alterations and adjustments to try counter the issue. A pity. :( I even asked if they could do a battery replacement and they said no, but they would quote me a on a new unit.

Maybe I should have said, ....if its going to cost me money, let me experiment with something else/new for a change and put the money into that.... I guess it each one for themselves.

And yes! the Garmin Edge 130 is a nifty little piece of tech. ;) A mate of mine has one!

Understood! ✌️

• 3 months later...

Is anyone else experiencing issues with their Edge 520 or any other Garmin devices in cold weather? Elevation and heart rate have been way off recently, sometimes not recording at all, and only seems to normalize once the sun is out and things warm up a bit.

Did the Stellenbosch MTB Challenge over the weekend and was 600m short on elevation, even went to 139m below sea level (?)

Any way to fix this?

Is anyone else experiencing issues with their Edge 520 or any other Garmin devices in cold weather? Elevation and heart rate have been way off recently, sometimes not recording at all, and only seems to normalize once the sun is out and things warm up a bit.

Did the Stellenbosch MTB Challenge over the weekend and was 600m short on elevation, even went to 139m below sea level (?)

Any way to fix this?

My HR remains spot on in all weather, even when I get on the bike after wearing the strap on a freezing ocean swim.

Elevation on the Edge series is heavily affected by getting wet... the barometer does not like getting wet, it starts to underreport. My 520, 820 and 830 all do the same if it rains. The Fenix seems to be better, so I record with that on rainy rides.

Cold hasn't affected it though.

Makes sense as every time I noticed this it was in wet or foggy conditions but never experienced is this badly in the 3 years I had the the device. It is a bit annoying though.

As for the HR this might be related to the battery life, probably need to replace the battery but trying to open it up without stripping those tiny little screws is a nightmare.

My HR remains spot on in all weather, even when I get on the bike after wearing the strap on a freezing ocean swim.

Elevation on the Edge series is heavily affected by getting wet... the barometer does not like getting wet, it starts to underreport. My 520, 820 and 830 all do the same if it rains. The Fenix seems to be better, so I record with that on rainy rides.

Cold hasn't affected it though.