Running an 11spd crank on 10spd drivetrain

Moooving

Howzit guys

Seeking some advice please.

I am looking to buy myself a new crank - Shimano 105 7000 53-39T 11 speed.

I currently have a 10 speed drivetrain with the following components :

Shimano Ultegra 6700 10spd cassette 11-28T

Shimano Ultegra 6701 10spd chain

The big question is will I be able to run an 11 speed crank on my 10speed bike?

Thanks in advance

Nonsense... I'm running an 11 speed crank right now... Hell, I'm mixing and ultegra 11 speed crank with a Sram red 10 gruppo and it works beautifully.

Cool...is it a 6800 or R8000 crank...

Cool...is it a 6800 or R8000 crank...

Just a quick question.

The shifter and limit screws a deterimne the move of the chain so if the distance is smaller it should work unless the chain width might be to big but I doubt it.

Assuming the distance between the teeth didn't change which is unlikely.

I use an 11 speed chain on my 1x10 speed Gravel bike. It shifts better and SRAM have made a retail price R275 11 speed chain to help us all prolong the life of our kit by making an affordable chain option.

The differences are so marginal that neither you, nor your bike will know.

Yes. I just purchased an 11 speed Sram Red crank and have it setup with my 10 speed Sram Force. No hassles except when I sometimes go from small to big chain ring. The chain just needs to be not too high up on the cassette otherwise it takes too long to catch onto it. I therefore drop a few gears down in order for it to catch onto the big blade quicker then go lighter on the cassette if i need to. Not ideal I know but wanted to upgrade whole system but circumstances didn't allow me to, unfortunately.

Manufacturers will generally cover themselves by recommending that 10 and 11 spd parts not be mixed ... but most times there's no issue when doing so.

The chain links are the same length the 11 is just a teny tiny bit narrower so small difference that I have fixed a buddy's 10spd chain out on the trails with a 11spd link it fits but makes the link stiff.

Not sure about running a 11spd chain on a 10spd group as I have not done it but running 11spd crank with 10spd and visa versa works perfectly.

The chain links are the same length the 11 is just a teny tiny bit narrower so small difference that I have fixed a buddy's 10spd chain out on the trails with a 11spd link it fits but makes the link stiff.

Not sure about running a 11spd chain on a 10spd group as I have not done it but running 11spd crank with 10spd and visa versa works perfectly.

11sp chain on a 10sp cassette works even better. The thinner chain means there's more room