Need MTB buying advice: Getting back in the game

Wimmas

Hi everyone,

I used to cycle - road and MTB. Been through a few bicycles in my life time from 26" to 29er's. My last bike was a 2013 Momsen AL329 R Type. Gave up cycling in 2014 for a few reasons, I won't bore you with the story. I want back in the game, I loved cycling, more specifically mountain biking. 

I have been browsing the web trying to figure out which bikes are the best value for money and I have narrowed my search down to Merida. I have had my eye on the Big Nine 500 and 600. The 2018 models are going for pretty cheap now. I'll wait and see if there are any Black Friday deals as cycle lab had the Big Nine 600 @ R11,999 recently which was a steal, but I was too late.

I am also keeping an eye on second hand bikes, although I have to admit I prefer new. I reside in Roodepoort (JHB West) and will cycle at the cradle and thaba trails which aren't far from me.

What I'd like to know from you experts, are there any other bikes which you feel are better value for money which I should also consider besides Merida?

My budget - as cheap as possible (R12,000), but I am also a reasonable man who knows it might be worth saving a month or two extra to push the budget a few grand higher as it's a long term asset.

Edited by Wimmas

Dont rule out the Silverbacks. Brilliant bikes that dont get the credit they deserve. You wont be sorry I can promise you.

sitting in the same boat . but lookimg for a nice fatty to enjoy the trails and some few events with . good luck on your bike hunting and enjoy

sitting in the same boat . but lookimg for a nice fatty to enjoy the trails and some few events with . good luck on your bike hunting and enjoy

You don't want to be doing events on a fatty.

Edited by porqui

• 2 weeks later...

I see Bike Addict is selling the 2018 Merida Big Nine XT Edition @ under R15k. Do you guys think it\s a good deal? Seems all the new bikes are coming out with a 1x12 groupset instead of the 2x11.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I would really appreciate some input here to help me make a decision on which bike to buy. I am finding it difficult to choose between these 4:

2018 Merida Big Nine 500 - R9,990 https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/hardtails/cross-country-marathon/2018/big-nine-500-9131.html

2018 Scott Scale 960 - R13,890 https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-scale-960-2018-mountain-bike-EV313805

2018 Silver Sola 2 - R12,290 https://silverbacklab.com/product/sola-2-2/

2018 Momsen AL429 - R13,150 https://momsenbikes.com/2018-bikes/al429/

Below is a sheet with some side by side specs of the components I thought were important to look at. What makes the Merida more attractive is the weight, but then again saving a few 100grm's on the scale vs inferior components is probably not worth it. I am also not too concerned about how the bike looks:

Bicycle-Specs.jpg

TIA

Hi again,

I would really appreciate some input here to help me make a decision on which bike to buy. I am finding it difficult to choose between these 4:

2018 Merida Big Nine 500 - R9,990 https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/hardtails/cross-country-marathon/2018/big-nine-500-9131.html

2018 Scott Scale 960 - R13,890 https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-scale-960-2018-mountain-bike-EV313805

2018 Silver Sola 2 - R12,290 https://silverbacklab.com/product/sola-2-2/

2018 Momsen AL429 - R13,150 https://momsenbikes.com/2018-bikes/al429/

Below is a sheet with some side by side specs of the components I thought were important to look at. What makes the Merida more attractive is the weight, but then again saving a few 100grm's on the scale vs inferior components is probably not worth it. I am also not too concerned about how the bike looks:

Bicycle-Specs.jpg

TIA

So when buying a bike the first two things I look at is frame and fork - the rest is replaceable at reasonable prices. All these frames are good, but the fork on the Merida and Momsen rule those 2 bikes out immediately.

So that leaves the Scott and Silverback. For me. The choice from there is simple - I'd take the Silverback. The forks, RS Judy vs RS Recon - much of a muchness, they are both good. The drivetrain, both 2x11 so you can convert to 1x11 very cheaply (just replace the front two rings with a single ring and remove the front deraillieur) if you want to, but the Sikverback has an XT deraillieur which is slightly better than the SLX on the Scott.

Both have common seatpost sizes, so you can add a dropper seatpost for not much (Lyne, Rapide, etc).

Both have Shimano brakesets which will work well and last forever.

Both come with Maxxis tyres, the Silverback with Crossmarks, and the Scott with Ikons - both good options, but the Crossmarks are probably better all rounders than the Ikons.

Ignore weight, you are going to make changes which will take the weight up and down a bit, besides - a few 100gr here and there does not matter if you are not going for podium spots at races anyway.

So for me it comes down to value, and I think the Silverback offers slightly more, but not bt a mile. That being said, if you are basing your price in Evan's cycles, you are importing so you must add shipping and VAT and duty, so it will be much more than advertised.

Personally I also like Silverback a bit more at this level of bike, and their aftersales service is very good.

Just remember to save up a bit for some extra bits and pieces after you buy the bike, this is what I would replace if I was you (in the coming months - not immediately):

0. (As in do this before you ride the bike the first time) - Convert to tubeless.

1. A shorter stem (50 - 70mm) with wider handlebars - better control over the bike.

2. A new saddle - this will be to your preference, something that most people replace on their bikes).

3. A dropper seatpost - if you don't know what this is read up on it, in my opinion the best thing to happen to mountain bikes in a very long time. My choice - a Lyne Contour.

4. Tyres - based on the riding you do.

Also remember there are a few things you will need to buy right off the bat, so keep that in mind when budgeting:

1. A good helmet

2. Some chammois (padded pants)

3. Pedals (bikes don't come with them), lots of options here - flats or clips - read up and then decide.

4. Shoes to go with your choice of pedals.

5. Basic spares such as multi-tool, pump, spare tube, tubeless repair kit, etc...

Good luck with the search, and enjoy the new bike.

PS, post pics of the new bike.

I might be biased because I own 2 Scott Scales 940 alu and 920 carbon and I have owned a silverback sola the ride from the Scott is miles better than silverback. Scott much more comfortable, stable at speed, playful, better looking and I can go on and on.

So needless to say I would go for the Scott out of those!

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

I might be biased because I own 2 Scott Scales 940 alu and 920 carbon and I have owned a silverback sola the ride from the Scott is miles better than silverback. Scott much more comfortable, stable at speed, playful, better looking and I can go on and on.

So needless to say I would go for the Scott out of those!

Are you comparing apples with apples though? Coz a Scale with a Fox 32 and good wheels will be miles better (more stable, comfy, etc etc), than any bike with an RS Sektor with entry level wheels? And obviously the same can be said for a well specced Silverback vs a bad spec Scott...

The reason I ask is that I have ridden both (haven't owned either of the two), and besides from component differences there wasn't anything in it. They are both alu frames (no use comparing your carbon Scale here), and both have very similar geometry.

Looks wise, very subjective - I love the black and white Scales from a few years back, but the new neon coloured ones don't do anything for me.

Either way you go between the Scott and Silverback though, you will end up with a good bike with a solid spec.

Thank you guys for the input.

@Grease_Monkey thanks for narrowing it down. Your explanations make perfect sense. The Momsen and Merida are definitely ruled out.

I need to make a decision tomorrow if I want to capitalize on the current specials running. I see that the 2019 Silverback Sola 2 comes with a whole new frame, internal cable routing and a 1x11 groupset. Overall it also seems slightly better specc'd. The only problem is I don't think anyone has stock of it yet and it will probably be at least R3.5k more than what I can get the 2018 model for.

Hopefully bike-addict only has stock of either the Silverback or Scott, which then makes the decision for me.

Or else I will need to save up for a few more months and only purchase a bike next year March or so. Problem is I am on leave for three weeks in December and obviously want to make use of the time to go riding.

Thank you guys for the input.

@Grease_Monkey thanks for narrowing it down. Your explanations make perfect sense. The Momsen and Merida are definitely ruled out.

I need to make a decision tomorrow if I want to capitalize on the current specials running. I see that the 2019 Silverback Sola 2 comes with a whole new frame, internal cable routing and a 1x11 groupset. Overall it also seems slightly better specc'd. The only problem is I don't think anyone has stock of it yet and it will probably be at least R3.5k more than what I can get the 2018 model for.

Hopefully bike-addict only has stock of either the Silverback or Scott, which then makes the decision for me.

Or else I will need to save up for a few more months and only purchase a bike next year March or so. Problem is I am on leave for three weeks in December and obviously want to make use of the time to go riding.

Happy to help...

Couple of things:

- I'm not too sure of 2019 is an updated frame with newer geometry or if it just new paint. If it is a whole new frame it may be worth the wait and extra cash.

- The current Sola is 2x11, to convert that to 1x11 is very simple and cheap - and the 2x11 gearing may be beneficial to you at the start if you are not yet fit. So might be good to have and convert to 1x11 later (just remove front deraillieur and double rings and then replace with a single narrow wide ring) - R700 for the narrow wide ring.

- Internal routing is nice aesthetically, but external routing is easier to work on if you like to tinker on your bike yourself. Maybe something to consider, but I wouldn't be too bothered either way, internal routing offers no functional improvement besides from looks.

- Don't get too caught up in Black Friday deals. This is the START of savings, there will be start of holidays savings, then Christmas savings, then new years savings, then stock clearance savings. In short the 2018 bike will be on special until shops have sold them all to make space for 2019 models. You won't lose out on the sale just because you do not act tomorrow...