Peaceful march/walk in Edenvale for awareness relating to cycling deaths.

Long Wheel Base

Morning my fellow hubbers. If any of you are available and near-by on Saturday morning the 10th of November, please join us.

TIA.

Please see the below message from the EDENGLEN CYCLING CLUB chairman.

Hello my Special Little People,

This is a long one ... but it's really important

For the first time in the history of Edenglen Cycling Club there is a female as a Chair ... coupled with the fact that this one is a mom. I don't suppose that I need to point out, that that just means an overdrive of emotions.
Yes! I care.
I care that Lucia misses her dad, that Kieran is spreading his wings, that Graham will sell a home filled with memories of his wife. I care that all the Strava QOM's in Edenvale are filled with our Edenglen girls .... because this is our home. I care that our members are good enough to fill the race podiums, I worry about our babies doing their first 947 this year.

I care that we have support drives for our big group rides. I worry that people feel we are still leaving people behind on rides and how we can address the problem.

How much do you care?

We have an opportunity to stand up for something important. Something that affects every one of us ... every one of our loved ones.
When we go onto the road - there are no guarantees that we will return. It haunts me .... wondering if Wayne kissed his wife on the morning of his accident.

We want to ... need to stand up for our friends that have died, stand up for our loved ones that wait for us to return after every ride ....

Our peaceful walk can only work if we have your support.  We can only make a statement if we have numbers. 
Members need to wear appropriate placards saying ... "I am a mom", "I am a sister", "I am a bread-winner". Your friends and family need to wear cards saying ... "My dad is a cyclist", "My partner is a cyclist"

The response from our marshals was poor. The response from Saturday morning's "straw pole" was poor ???? 

We are asking for an hour of your time on Saturday morning ... 9am - 10am.

I'm asking you to stand up for something important. Something that affects all of us and our loved ones. Invite friends and family to be part of this. They are affected by this too.

This has to be shelved if we don't have numbers. I need you to RSVP if you can attend - with a rough number of walkers that you can bring along in support.

I know that life is happening and that there are genuine reasons for not attending ... but I'm asking you to make an effort. Stand up and make this count.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on Hubland - this is your chance to put your money where your mouth is and do something about an issue which is close to all our hearts.

If we use just 10% of the energy and outrage shown on this platform we could make this march a huge success.

It's time to stop moaning and start acting!

Come on Hubland - this is your chance to put your money where your mouth is and do something about an issue which is close to all our hearts.

If we use just 10% of the energy and outrage shown on this platform we could make this march a huge success.

It's time to stop moaning and start acting!

Thanks Eldron.

This is a great initiative, i will get as many of our crew together as part of our morning ride and support the walk/ride! 

Thanks Eldron.

No worries.

Maybe add "cycling" to the title so people what it's in aid of though. Might be missing out on some traffic...

No worries.

Maybe add "cycling" to the title so people what it's in aid of though. Might be missing out on some traffic...

How do I edit the title?

How do I edit the title?

Hit the Edit button on your first post and you should be able to edit the title.

This is a great initiative, i will get as many of our crew together as part of our morning ride and support the walk/ride! 

I think they want us to walk,not ride is my understanding

Ok, but i am sure we can ride slowly behind them, considering it is a protest initiated by the fatalities of two cyclists! 

Ok, but i am sure we can ride slowly behind them, considering it is a protest initiated by the fatalities of two cyclists! 

Some of the club members are bringing their bikes and are going to be pushing them so that we at least have bikes visable. Whether you walk or ride slowly I don't think it matters as long as we stay as one BIG group.

Archived