Ride the Karoo

Dubsymike

Howzit All,

Has anyone done this event (1 day, 160km MTB)?

https://ridethekaroo.co.za/

Just wondering how hectic it is. It's obviously a long way but I'm trying to get a feel for how manageable it is (given that I'm not a dedicated racing snake).

Thanks,
Mike

This looks like a great day out, But at R2900 for an entry, it will most likely only be a pipe dream.

Yeah, pricing a bit rough considering something like 36One is just over 1k for an entry.

Two suggestions

Firstly enter a 24hour solo race in December.  Ride slowly as many laps as required to cover 160km.  See how you feel.  Normally it will take about two to three months training (weekend long rides) to get body and but ready for a 160km single day ride.

Secondly, if R2900 is a bit steep and you still want to ride those distances in the Karoo, consider the klein and Gamka Karoo.  ie George, Outshoorn, Calitdorp, vanWyksdorp, Herbertsdale, Mosselbay, Knysna area where you can cover 60km-80km per day and slackpack at various B&B.

Yeah, pricing a bit rough considering something like 36One is just over 1k for an entry.

It does include 2 nights tented accommodation & meals. It probably could be a bit cheaper but it is quite a niche event so there are fewer riders to cover costs 

It does include 2 nights tented accommodation & meals. It probably could be a bit cheaper but it is quite a niche event so there are fewer riders to cover costs

Okay, I proabably should've read a bit more before commenting. With accommodation and food it's actually not badly priced at all.

Okay, I proabably should've read a bit more before commenting. With accommodation and food it's actually not badly priced at all.

I tend to agree in a way, but then for us from down here in the Cape it's quite a drive to get there (read fuel cost here) so then a 1 day event becomes quite an expensive weekend away. Specially if you're husband and wife both riding.

But with that said, i would really love to do this event. It really looks lekker.

I'm very keen to do it but it's also far from Joburg. Also a busy time of the year with Race to the Sun, CTCT, The Berg 100, Maluti D90 & Swartberg 100. I might not be married anymore by the end of April

• 1 year later...