[Event] Gravel Travel MTB, Trail Run & Gravel Ride

Gravel Travel Events

Can't wait! This is a fun one! Not feeling in top shape, aiming for sub 3 hours..

I did Gravel & Grape this week and was sort of mid pack i.e. not racing it upfront for Change & boy did it feel good to be there again. Was able to partake of all that was offered at the waterpoints.

I did Gravel & Grape this week and was sort of mid pack i.e. not racing it upfront for Change & boy did it feel good to be there again. Was able to partake of all that was offered at the waterpoints.

Haha yeah I'm definitely planning on stopping at the Val du Charron waterpoint for a free hotdog this year!

Haha yeah I'm definitely planning on stopping at the Val du Charron waterpoint for a free hotdog this year!

Ah good choice, the views are always spectacular from the Restaurant Deck at Val Du Charron.

Awesome event, but jeepers that 50km mtb is a toughy!!

Fiancee also gave the 40km gravel ride 2 thumbs up and said it was a really beautiful ride.

Haha I was NOT ready to face the luislang climb yesterday and the heat caught me! Struggled with a slow puncture all day, had to stop 5 times to bomb it and missed my 3hours target with 10min. Also this year there were almost no free kilometers of gravelroad like there was last year. Still remains one of the best events on the calendar for me!

Haha I was NOT ready to face the luislang climb yesterday and the heat caught me! Struggled with a slow puncture all day, had to stop 5 times to bomb it and missed my 3hours target with 10min. Also this year there were almost no free kilometers of gravelroad like there was last year. Still remains one of the best events on the calendar for me!

I think it was you I stopped and gave one of my bombs to?

Glad you finished!!

I think it was you I stopped and gave one of my bombs to?

Glad you finished!!

Haha no must've been someone else. I still have no idea where I got the puncture from, noticed the semi pap tyre on the luislang climb already. Luckily I finished my last bomb just before the Rollercoaster descent 2km before the finish line

Such an awesome day out. Thanks Elane and Pieter. Spectacular as we become use to.

Great event as usual. Great to see so many peeps return again, back in the day this race was part of the National MTB series which is today known as the Nissan Trail Seeker Series. Great memories riding those trails again. The climbs was brutal more so if you are racing it.

Great event as usual. Great to see so many peeps return again, back in the day this race was part of the National MTB series which is today known as the Nissan Trail Seeker Series. Great memories riding those trails again. The climbs was brutal more so if you are racing it.

Yes these event has been around for ages and it's the first time I got to ride it. Was tougher than I anticipated (last year's Strava times not a good guide given the route changes!). Loved the single track, climbing was doable (luckily I was stuck behind a slower rider or 2 on every single track climb so could take a bit of a breather  :ph34r: ). I must make some effort to come and ride the Welvanpas area more often!

Well organised event, signage was good (not always a given at races) and nice vibe - organisers got something good going  :thumbup:

Only suggestion I have for the organizers is to start the 50km race first. Say 07:30 instead of last at 08:30. By the time we finished, almost everyone had left already and only a few people stayed for the prize giving and lucky draw at 12:00. My wife did the 10km trailrun at 08:15 and had time to drive back to Paarl, take a shower, eat, and drive back to see me finish at 11:30. The gravelbike guys could go last because they would finish in the least amount of time. Plus it really gets hot later in the day for us on the 50km. Surely there are enough trails in this network to select from for the shorter distances if they are worried about the traffic on the trails. Just seems silly that the shorter the race, the earlier the start, it should be the other way around I think. That would ensure that the bulk of the people finish more or less in the same timeframe and would stay for the beers, the vibe and the prize giving.