Garmin watch options - need advice

Chingy182

The Vivoactive3 is notorious for issues when it comes to elevation gains (if that is important to you).  My wife's VA3 has no issues.  Mine is plagued by them.

For example, on Sunday's Dirtopia ride and run, I had an elevation gain of 1300m.  At least with Strava it can be fixed, but you cant edit out the faulty data points in Garmin Connect

You can turn on Elevation correction in Garmin Connect on the website. Open the activity and on the right hand side of the page below the unit that was used to record the ride there is a drop down option to enable the correction. (It's there for me for activities recorded with my 820 and 935.

So let me just get this right... the Garmin watches pairs with all of these HR straps?

I was looking at the Tri Bundle watches and only found out from another post that it actually comes with 2 HR straps, one of which is specifically used for swimming HR measurement.

The bundle is about R2700 more expensive than just the watch.

I can then just buy the watch and a regular Garmin HR strap for R800?

Almost any Heart rate strap will work with the Garmin watches but you need the HRM-Swim or the HRM-Tri if you want heart rate while swimming. If that doesn't matter to you then any Bluetooth or ANT+ strap should work fine.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Vivoactive 3 also has elevation issues.

Rode Jonkershoek on Sunday, my Strava App and riding buddy recorded 770m climbing. Vivoactive got 540m

The Fenix 5x sapphire is a great watch, just dont buy it if the wrist based HRM is important to you. The accuracy on it is terrible and I have to wear a chest strap. I use it for MTB, road, hiking and golf. 

Battery life is good as well, I rode the whole of Cullinan2Tonteldoos last year, navigating all the way and had plenty of battery left at the end (13hrs)

My vivo active 3 does not record elevation correctly either. I fix it on Strava.

I am going to play around and see what I can figure out. But should just work. Frustrating.

Lol, so I just "corrected" my elevation on Garmin Connect, and now I've done a whopping 1191m of climbing over 29km. At least it's getting it wrong the way I'd like it now..

The Fenix 5x sapphire is a great watch, just dont buy it if the wrist based HRM is important to you. The accuracy on it is terrible and I have to wear a chest strap. I use it for MTB, road, hiking and golf. 

Battery life is good as well, I rode the whole of Cullinan2Tonteldoos last year, navigating all the way and had plenty of battery left at the end (13hrs)

Interesting, you don't say that yours is the Plus, but my 5x Plus without a chest strap gives me pretty much exactly the same HR readings as I see on my Edge 520 with a strap - It only varies by about 1 beat per minute during a ride.

Generally, I love my 5x Plus, and the battery life is amazing.

The wife has a 5s Plus which she also loves, but the battery life isn't as good as her previous Forerunner.

I got her the Garmin HRM Run for a chest strap that should arrive today, so let's see how that works.

Best price for the Garmin Forerunner 935?? Which online store....

I bought a Suunto Spartan Trainer for under 4k on Takealot.

Runs for the door.

Interesting, you don't say that yours is the Plus, but my 5x Plus without a chest strap gives me pretty much exactly the same HR readings as I see on my Edge 520 with a strap - It only varies by about 1 beat per minute during a ride.

Generally, I love my 5x Plus, and the battery life is amazing.

The wife has a 5s Plus which she also loves, but the battery life isn't as good as her previous Forerunner.

I got her the Garmin HRM Run for a chest strap that should arrive today, so let's see how that works.

It's the first model that came out a few years ago, my wife also has the 5s (bought same time as mine) and her wrist based HRM is also crap. So if yours is better they've obviously resolved the issues. (or we just bought duds)

Fenix 3 all the way. As others have mentioned, you will not use most of the advanced features on the Fenix 5. Really worth spending double? IMHO no. You can get the Fenix 3 HR Sapphire for R6-7k and its worth every.single.sent. 

My vivo active 3 does not record elevation correctly either. I fix it on Strava.

I am going to play around and see what I can figure out. But should just work. Frustrating.

JK7. This is interesting news. Bought the Vivoactive 3 for the misses for Christmas. Upgraded from her FR35. I contacted Garmin last week and returning the watch to them. Its SO inaccurate on both the bike and runs. We run together then her pace is off by more than 30s compared to my Fenix 3. I activated GLONAS, but still no better results.

Got this reply yesterday:

Good day Dian,

Thank you for contacting Product Support.

Sorry to hear about your issue.

Please feel free to return your device to the Garmin dealer you purchased it from or alternatively you can also return the device to the below list of Garmin dealers however a handing fee might be applied by the dealer:

• Cape Union Mart
  • Total Sports
  • Trappers Trading

You may also courier or hand deliver (not post) your device to our Technical Support Centre:

Garmin Southern Africa

The Mall Offices

Office 802 – 8th floor

11 Cradock Ave ,Rosebank, 2196

Monday- Friday 08:00-16:30

With the package that you send through to Garmin, please include a note containing a short description of the fault that is plaguing the device. On that note, please include the following as well:

• Attention Technical Repairs.
  • Your return physical address.  
  • Your contact details (IE: Cellphone number & Email address).  
  • If possible, please supply us with the proof of purchase for the device. In order for our technicians to verify the warranty status of your device. 

Garmin works with a 48 business hour turnaround time, from the moment the device reaches our head office.

My Vivoactive 3 also has elevation issues.

Rode Jonkershoek on Sunday, my Strava App and riding buddy recorded 770m climbing. Vivoactive got 540m

See my response to JK!

The Vivoactive3 is notorious for issues when it comes to elevation gains (if that is important to you).  My wife's VA3 has no issues.  Mine is plagued by them.

For example, on Sunday's Dirtopia ride and run, I had an elevation gain of 1300m.  At least with Strava it can be fixed, but you cant edit out the faulty data points in Garmin Connect

See my response below to others regarding the Vivo. Sending it back to them.

It's the first model that came out a few years ago, my wife also has the 5s (bought same time as mine) and her wrist based HRM is also crap. So if yours is better they've obviously resolved the issues. (or we just bought duds)

I suspect the fit on different wrists also has something to do with it