Advice on buying my first bike.

Fluffyyyzzz

Hi All, 

I'm in the Market of buying my first bike and a bit torn to look for a second hand or a new bike. I want start getting in to mountain biking and have a R10000 budget. I went to a bike store the other day and was looking at a GT Avalanche Comp/Elite 2018/2019. The problem that i'm having with this bike are the shocks the elite comes with SR Suntour XCR32 RLR 100mm of travel air shocks the specific one didn't come with a remote lock but I'm sure I can find on that comes with one, but after doing some research i'm hearing a lot of people say that that are pretty crap. 

I've been borrowing my girlfriends Titan which is way to small and also has spring shocks. So from my experience on her bike I think air shocks are the way to go. 

I don't know enough about bicycles to feel confident buying second hand that is why buying new I would feel a lot better. 

The elite comes with full Shimano Deore group set and from research I don't think I can get much better in my price range, well buying new that is. 

Are there any bikes that you know of in this price range that have better shocks? I don't want to have to worry about changing my shocks soon and I want to learn and will probably be hitting jumps and other things on the track a bit to hard. I heard rock shocks are good and obviously Fox shocks are great. 

I really like the GT Elite but I'm just worried about the shocks. The frame is nice from what I hear. But i'm not really worried about the brand.

Also what do you think about the low in Scotts in this price range and the Treks?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Being your first bike, I don't think worry too much about the shock. I started mtb on an Avalanche which had SR Suntour and it was okay for the first few mtb events. I then upgraded to a GT Avalanche 3.0 which also had SR Suntour, and also, there was nothing wrong with the bike. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting a mtb that comes with a better shock, but what if you end up not enjoying mtb'ing, and then you've spent all that dosh on a bike?

Here's a Silverback, a little over your budget, but the shock has lockout:

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/silverback-29er/products/silverback-spectra-sport-2020

Yeah I agree. Thank you. That is a very nice bike. what do you think about this?  https://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=7734

Being your first bike, I don't think worry too much about the shock. I started mtb on an Avalanche which had SR Suntour and it was okay for the first few mtb events. I then upgraded to a GT Avalanche 3.0 which also had SR Suntour, and also, there was nothing wrong with the bike. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting a mtb that comes with a better shock, but what if you end up not enjoying mtb'ing, and then you've spent all that dosh on a bike?

Here's a Silverback, a little over your budget, but the shock has lockout:

https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/silverback-29er/products/silverback-spectra-sport-2020

Don't worry about the lack of a remote lockout on a fork. It's there to soak up the chatter, and at that price, the Suntour fits the bill. It'll be fine. They're just not as good as the forks you get on bikes that cost 5k more than what your budget is. 

I'll rather look at a secondhand bike.

I am not nearly technically knowledgeable enough to comment on the rest of your questions

Good luck

Thank you, all these posts are making me feel better about the shocks just want to get the best I can in the budget. 

Don't worry about the lack of a remote lockout on a fork. It's there to soak up the chatter, and at that price, the Suntour fits the bill. It'll be fine. They're just not as good as the forks you get on bikes that cost 5k more than what your budget is. 

Far from me being an expert but don't be scared of used bikes.  There are very good bargains in your price bracket (and particularly if you go 26).

No that bike is the same spec at a bike sure near me on Joburg, but wanted to find the specs. And that is good to hear. Thank you. 

Seems perfect for a starter bike, and I like GT, I've always had a soft spot for GT mtb's, although I haven't had any experience in ordering a bike online, let alone ordering bike from overseas.

Thank you, I am looking around for a second hand one but I am scared its got a cracked frame that I don't see of the gear set it damaged and I don't know. 

Far from me being an expert but don't be scared of used bikes.  There are very good bargains in your price bracket (and particularly if you go 26).

Nothing wrong with 2nd hand, just get it checked out at a bike shop if you can. Take note on rear side of the stanchons for wear....

I will answer your question with a bunch of my own to be able to narrow your search for you: 

• What's the intended purpose of said bike? 
  • Are you going to go down to your local jump track and let rip or are you just looking to ride on the dirt roads with some friends and or your girlfriend? 
  • 26er, 650B or 29er? 
  • Do you have everything else you need, i.e. helmet, gloves, shorts, glasses, tools, shirt? If not, your R10k budget for the bike almost got slashed down to R5k  :eek:.
  • Are you a weight weeny i.e. will the weight of the bike bother you or are you just looking for a quality product? 
  • Hardtail or dual sus? 
  • Why do you want to go new? A new bike gives you way less for a much higher price tag. 

Please feel free to PM me if you need any guidance with your purchase

Cheers

Archived