Are CX/Adventure bikes faster than MTB’s?

26er

All things being equal,are they faster than hardtail MTB’s on gravel?

Have any of you had first hand experience with the amount of extra watts required against each other?

depends on the gearing ratios and rider more than the bike model i would think :whistling:

if the gearing ratios are the same and the tires are the same .....then the only variable left is the rider

point is MTBs and gravel/CX/ adventure bikes arent the same gearing usually and thats the difference - drop bars/geometry arent going to make enough of a variable in potential speed to an average rider

Edited by bikebloke

the tires on adventure /gravel bikes are usually suited to more speed on compact surfaces and less grip in rough .

that being said you see strong riders taking HT mtbs with knobs on up to really good speeds on tar .

gear ratios / tires /rider

the frame and the name dont make that much difs

Would the 'gravel' bikes not typically be lighter because of the rigid forks (typically carbon) and 'smaller' tyres?

Correct Ben but i think for this one we assuming all things being equal that they weight about the same

but i think for your money you would get a lighter gravel for less than a light HT mtb :thumbup:

Correct Ben but i think for this one we assuming all things being equal that they weight about the same

but i think for your money you would get a lighter gravel for less than a light HT mtb [emoji106]

Thanks, I missed that 'all things being equal' [emoji41]

All thing being equal, they will be equally fast ;)

I would say it depends on the terain, but if you are speaking stock standard smooth gravel road, then yes. As soon as you throw corugations and rocks into the mix that answer may change.

So yeah, hard to say if all things are equal because the gravel bike will sometimes be faster, mtb other times, it depends on terain variables.

I’m very fortunate to have a Santa Cruz Stigmata and a Santa Cruz Highball. While tyre choice and gearing play a huge role, in my experience the Highball is only slightly slower on smooth climbs and tar. On other surfaces there really isn’t much difference, and downhill the Highball is superior. I love my Stigmata, but it’s my opinion that the perfect gravel/adventure bike is a light, stiff hardtail mountain bike.

My gravel bike is a lot faster than my mountain bike on a normal gravel road and virtually any gravel climb as long as it's not too loose. However, when it gets technical or downhill it can get really scary.