Another newbie question

SSA

Guys, from the 2 bikes I mentioned in my initial post, what would a decent price be to pay?

Considering it is a 26er and will probably sell in a year or 2 , if I do decide to pursue the sport .

And what do I look out for if I go an view and test it out

Thanks

If you can convince the sellers to take the bikes to their LBS and have them forward you details of their inspection, that would be great. They should identify any immediate tall expenses on the bikes, like a fork service, new cassette/chain/chainrings, wheel bearings.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for a 29er if you can, 26er's are generally out of production a while ago.

Anyway, whatever you get enjoy it and welcome to the wonderful world of cycling!

Lots and lots of stuff to look out for but here is a short list: 

Just about everything on a bike can be upgraded, if you like to look of the frame and or the brand then you can change everything else  :D. If you want to ride the bike as is for a while before having to fork out mountains of additional cash then consider the following: 

• Stanchions on the fork - silver bits (normally) - if it shows any scratch or wear marks then it will lead to a service or repairs later 
  • Headset - try to see if there's any play / delay between the handle bars and the front wheel. Could just be a loose bolt on the stem or it could be the bearings
  • BB - the thingy where the pedals goes through the frame (sorry I'm dumbing it down a lot) - If the BB has wear you'll normally have some noises when applying power or you'll notice some play when trying to move it around with your hand
  • Hubs and free wheel body can also cost you some cash when it was not maintained properly. 

Now all of the above mentioned items can be replaced / serviced for relatively cheap depending on the quality of the replacement parts. 

• Also try to look for visible cracks on the frame, if the bike has covers or guards it may be a good idea to remove it to look underneath

I would consider this one but of the two you originally mentioned I would go for the Trance and offer around R9k depending on condition. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/346713-2-x-giant-trance-4-2011-for-sale-r9000-each/ 

Guys, from the 2 bikes I mentioned in my initial post, what would a decent price be to pay?

Considering it is a 26er and will probably sell in a year or 2 , if I do decide to pursue the sport .

And what do I look out for if I go an view and test it out

Thanks

Lots and lots of stuff to look out for but here is a short list:

Just about everything on a bike can be upgraded, if you like to look of the frame and or the brand then you can change everything else :D. If you want to ride the bike as is for a while before having to fork out mountains of additional cash then consider the following:

• Stanchions on the fork - silver bits (normally) - if it shows any scratch or wear marks then it will lead to a service or repairs later
  • Headset - try to see if there's any play / delay between the handle bars and the front wheel. Could just be a loose bolt on the stem or it could be the bearings
  • BB - the thingy where the pedals goes through the frame (sorry I'm dumbing it down a lot) - If the BB has wear you'll normally have some noises when applying power or you'll notice some play when trying to move it around with your hand
  • Hubs and free wheel body can also cost you some cash when it was not maintained properly.
Now all of the above mentioned items can be replaced / serviced for relatively cheap depending on the quality of the replacement parts.

• Also try to look for visible cracks on the frame, if the bike has covers or guards it may be a good idea to remove it to look underneath
I would consider this one but of the two you originally mentioned I would go for the Trance and offer around R9k depending on condition.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/346713-2-x-giant-trance-4-2011-for-sale-r9000-each/

Thanks Robert, I have decided to wait it out and see what 29er comes up for sale on the hub.

Will all the suggestions when I actually make it to a viewing. :)

What size I know of a medium Scott scale 960 going on sale soon for around R6000 overall good condition air Rockshox, 3x10 shimano and might even be Tubeless already. Send me a message if you would like to know more.

Hhmmm... scumtree you say, well that on it's own might not be a good place to start I've often found but if you trust the seller then go for it. You'll find it that the hub offers a lot more variety and some sort of safety in the transactions between seller and buyer because we're a family here. The wheel size at this stage shouldn't bother you as this will be your first bike, if it fits your budget and it feels good riding it then buy it. My first mtb back in 2014 was a POS avalanche tundra from the early 2000's with 26" wheels a rigid fork and an archaic frame design but I learned a lot of mtb skills from that POS bike and I think that's what is important from your first bike, that you learn a lot of skills from it's imperfections.

Just remember that wheel size is not as big a deal as made out to be (many will differ) but what IS crucial is the correct FRAME size.

Plenty on google and youtube about correct frame size.

Your height determines frame size not wheel size.

What size I know of a medium Scott scale 960 going on sale soon for around R6000 overall good condition air Rockshox, 3x10 shimano and might even be Tubeless already. Send me a message if you would like to know more.

Thanks, sent you a dm

Hhmmm... scumtree you say, well that on it's own might not be a good place to start I've often found but if you trust the seller then go for it. You'll find it that the hub offers a lot more variety and some sort of safety in the transactions between seller and buyer because we're a family here. The wheel size at this stage shouldn't bother you as this will be your first bike, if it fits your budget and it feels good riding it then buy it. My first mtb back in 2014 was a POS avalanche tundra from the early 2000's with 26" wheels a rigid fork and an archaic frame design but I learned a lot of mtb skills from that POS bike and I think that's what is important from your first bike, that you learn a lot of skills from it's imperfections.

Thanks guys, following this advice and will stick to the hub for looking instead

Just remember that wheel size is not as big a deal as made out to be (many will differ) but what IS crucial is the correct FRAME size.

Plenty on google and youtube about correct frame size.

Your height determines frame size not wheel size.

I guess if I'm not spending too much I will go for any wheel size, but considering resale, a 29er will probably be the best bet, all depends on the entire package I can get within budget.

Thanks man

The range in the 6 to 8 thousand market is big. It is where most bike manufacturers are Keen to sell. The high end stuff don't sell big volumes. Having said this pop round to a few LBS'S (Local Bike Shops) and see what they have new. There will be something for you there that will serve you well for many years. You will quickly realize the components are all in the same range for the price some better but other small bits on the bike not as good as another bike. All manufacturers compete in the same classes and prices at the end of the day. Buying new obviously takes out the guess work as far as hidden repair costs go, as I find a MTB is used in some harsh environments the seller sometimes does not always disclose the condition of some components. It takes a Keen eye to spot these potential expensive failures. Wheel size is not a problem for a start it's just in s.a and Australia I believe that 29er is big. In the rest of the world 26er and 27.5 is still being used a lot. I still own a 26er and all I battle to find is decent tires but with a bit of shopping around I come right. My advice is find what you can afford, get into the sport and then move up from there. Also if you budget for say 6k on a bike get one for 5k caus there are a few extras like helmet and clothing that will be about a grand or a bit more that will push you over your cycling startup budget

Thanks, sent you a dm

Thanks guys, following this advice and will stick to the hub for looking instead

I guess if I'm not spending too much I will go for any wheel size, but considering resale, a 29er will probably be the best bet, all depends on the entire package I can get within budget.

Thanks man

post-51185-0-03203200-1528441319.jpg

The range in the 6 to 8 thousand market is big. It is where most bike manufacturers are Keen to sell. The high end stuff don't sell big volumes. Having said this pop round to a few LBS'S (Local Bike Shops) and see what they have new. There will be something for you there that will serve you well for many years. You will quickly realize the components are all in the same range for the price some better but other small bits on the bike not as good as another bike. All manufacturers compete in the same classes and prices at the end of the day. Buying new obviously takes out the guess work as far as hidden repair costs go, as I find a MTB is used in some harsh environments the seller sometimes does not always disclose the condition of some components. It takes a Keen eye to spot these potential expensive failures. Wheel size is not a problem for a start it's just in s.a and Australia I believe that 29er is big. In the rest of the world 26er and 27.5 is still being used a lot. I still own a 26er and all I battle to find is decent tires but with a bit of shopping around I come right. My advice is find what you can afford, get into the sport and then move up from there. Also if you budget for say 6k on a bike get one for 5k caus there are a few extras like helmet and clothing that will be about a grand or a bit more that will push you over your cycling startup budget

Thanks Grant, Yes, I have been to 2 LBS , both gave good advice, and both also in not this exact words, said, don't buy the entry level bike, at least 29er, at least air shock , and this pushed the new bike price far out my budget , hence looking at the used market.

Thanks Grant, Yes, I have been to 2 LBS , both gave good advice, and both also in not this exact words, said, don't buy the entry level bike, at least 29er, at least air shock , and this pushed the new bike price far out my budget , hence looking at the used market.

Not sure where you stay, if in Gauteng PM me where, I can put you on to two LBS that have decent range around 6K. Like @slickjay007 found don't overlook momsen and silverback. Bang for your buck in 29er hardtail 2018 stock

Archived