Thru axle bike on Wahoo Kickr Gen 3

billygoat0523

Up until now I've been using a bike with a quick release on my Wahoo Kickr.  When I changed out the end caps to fit a bike with a thru axle, I get this horrible sounding grinding noise when I pedal.

Took the bike off the trainer, checked that everything was fitted correctly and put it back on and that grinding noise was still there.  Checked bike alignment, tried various combinations of gears etc.  I reckon it's the cap that goes over on the drive side that's rotating over the cassette's retention nut.

Should I grease it or is there more to it than just changing out the end caps?

You might need a training specific thru-axle (see picture attached). I had to get one for my disc bike. Its longer than the original axle so the trainer mechanism can lock properly. They come in sets of three for different threads i.e fine, medium and coarse.

I only needed the medium one so if your bike has a different thread your welcome to one of the others.

post-113886-0-12443500-1550850942_thumb.jpg

You might need a training specific thru-axle (see picture attached). I had to get one for my disc bike. Its longer than the original axle so the trainer mechanism can lock properly. They come in sets of three for different threads i.e fine, medium and coarse.

I only needed the medium one so if your bike has a different thread your welcome to one of the others.

thanks.  where do i purchase these?

will also give evobikes a shout, bought the trainer there.

thanks.  where do i purchase these?

will also give evobikes a shout, bought the trainer there.

Evo bikes should be able to get one, I see bike addict has it listed:

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/wahoo-kickr-snap-12-x-142-thru-axle-adapter

Let me know what thread size you need though, it comes in a set of three and I only needed the medium - so your welcome to have the fine or coarse thread adapter if that's what you need.

Up until now I've been using a bike with a quick release on my Wahoo Kickr.  When I changed out the end caps to fit a bike with a thru axle, I get this horrible sounding grinding noise when I pedal.

Took the bike off the trainer, checked that everything was fitted correctly and put it back on and that grinding noise was still there.  Checked bike alignment, tried various combinations of gears etc.  I reckon it's the cap that goes over on the drive side that's rotating over the cassette's retention nut.

Should I grease it or is there more to it than just changing out the end caps?

I don't know the specific trainer that you are using but assuming that you are using the correct components as recommended and supplied by the manufacturer, then a certain amount of creak (which usually arises as between the bike end caps and the trainer) is not uncommon. Firstly check that your axle mountings are correctly tight (in other words, that the wheel is not able to float from side to side). Assuming that that is in order, then try taking a bar of soap and rubbing a little bit on the end caps and/or inside the trainer amounts where they interface with the end caps. I find that this pretty much eliminates the creak and a bit of dried soap is a lot less messy to deal with than grease. If you really have to have something that is more liquid, then a bit of dishwashing liquid also works, particularly once you leave it to dry out a little bit. Remember that grease is effectively an amalgam of soap and oil. I suppose that a dab of Vaseline will probably also work although I have not tried it and again should be a little bit less unfriendly in a household environment than grease.

• 4 weeks later...

so... i borrowed the thru axle adapters from a friend with a kickr gen 4. the drive side adapter i got with my gen 3 seems to be the issue. the gen 4's adapter has a snug fit and is machined thinner and works a treat.

hope i can get the standalone parts from evobikes.

so... i borrowed the thru axle adapters from a friend with a kickr gen 4. the drive side adapter i got with my gen 3 seems to be the issue. the gen 4's adapter has a snug fit and is machined thinner and works a treat.

hope i can get the standalone parts from evobikes.

Hey Billygoat0523,

Please feel free to contact our Wahoo support team support@wahoofitness.co.za 

The items you are looking for is not standard items available through retail, but we can sort you out. 

Your local Wahooligan 

• 1 year later...