Puncture area - Millers Point CPT

EddieV

So not sure if this is going to help at all with those metal shards all over as they will probably cut right through, But what I've started doing(not sure if anyone else does it) is since I cut my tyre(small cut from glass about 3cm long) and didn't have another set at the time, I stuck a line of insulation tape inside the tyre(it fits perfectly width wise), since then I have never had a puncture with those sets of tyres. A few weeks back I took the tyres off to clean them(tan side wall) and pulled the insulation tape off and there were small pieces of glass and sharp stones stuck in the tyre and I could see the bumps on the insulation tape too before taking if off!

Not sure if this is a old cycling hack, but I never knew before but I will do it with every set of tyres from now on!

So not sure if this is going to help at all with those metal shards all over as they will probably cut right through, But what I've started doing(not sure if anyone else does it) is since I cut my tyre(small cut from glass about 3cm long) and didn't have another set at the time, I stuck a line of insulation tape inside the tyre(it fits perfectly width wise), since then I have never had a puncture with those sets of tyres. A few weeks back I took the tyres off to clean them(tan side wall) and pulled the insulation tape off and there were small pieces of glass and sharp stones stuck in the tyre and I could see the bumps on the insulation tape too before taking if off!

Not sure if this is a old cycling hack, but I never knew before but I will do it with every set of tyres from now on!

It is an old hack and is essentially what is moulded into many tyres. Problem with the moulded in layer is it gets hard and then it's more easily punctured.

A latex tube works in a similar manner in that it is flexible with low surface tension so it doesn't rupture easily